Question about xd100 oil from evinrude

boater1234

Master Chief Petty Officer
I have done some research on the web and can't seem to get a 100%bulletproof answer to my question which is can i run xd100 evinrude oil in my 15hp 2stroke yamaha as it's rated for a 100:1 oil ratio?

I know i don't have to but i was just wondering is anyone knows a whole lot about this oil.I talked to my dealer who sells it and he said in a premix motor like mine the oil would not break down(meaning it won't ever mix properly).How can that be as i would think when it spits the oil in a direct injected outboard it would need to mix with the gas as it goes in.Does it work different in a DI outboard or should you be able to use it either way?Thanks for any input.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Question about xd100 oil from evinrude

I don't know the answer concerning your Yamaha. But as I understand it, the oil "mixes" with the gas, but it is still oil molecules mixed in with a bunch of gasoline molecules. Sort of like a bunch of buckshot mixed with a bunch of ball bearings. That's the Non-engineering version.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

The engine does not care if its XD30,XD50,Xd100 or Wallyworld oil as its you mix it at 100:1 ratio. If you want less smoke use the synthetic blend........

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

For the fun of it I have experimented in mixing the Amsoil Saber 100:1 rated oil at 50:1 and the result was not good. I suspect the same with the BRp xd100 used for lean mix with the Etec to be the same type of animal. Nevertheless I dont expect anyone to share my opinion .. LOL

boater1234

The xd100 is full synthetic not a blend.My dealer said it won't break down because it's specifically made for DI outboards.I myself have never heard that but that is why i'm asking.Also i don't think it's tcw3 rated as far as i can see on the bottle,not that it would stop me from using it as it seems to be one of the best synthetic oils,if not the best oil out there as far as i have read for the money.I really like using my 100%full synthetic pennzoil but at over $40 a gallon at west marine since i can't get anymore at walmart at $27 a bottle anymore because they don't carry it anymore i want to find a as good or better full synthetic oil like the xd100.I can get the xd100 oil for close to $30 a gallon maybe even a better price and i know that the full synthetic is not a need for my little motor i just belive it will prolong the life of my motor because i feel it protects the engine better then reg oil.Not that wally world oil or any other tcw3 oil is bad i just want the best and why not as my motor will only use like 16oz of oil per 6gallons of gas.

In my book that is 8 full 6 gallon fill ups per gallon of oil.That will last at least 2 to 3 mths for me on average,at that rate that is only like 4 to 6 bottles for the whole yr,breaks down to only $120 to $160 for one of the best oil protection products on the market.I would not hesitate for one second to use wally world oil if i had to but as long as oils like xd100 are available why not use the best protection.

I want to start using this oil after my full synthetic pennzoil is gone.Should i have anything to worry about using my 15hp 2stroke yamaha with this oil as far as not being tcw3 rated and will it for 100%sure mix in a premix gas tank like the other oils.I just for the life of me can't figure out why he said the oil will not break down and mix properly in a pre mix tank,makes no sense to me.If anyone has anymore info they can share on this xd100 please chime in.If anyone uses this full time as a pre mix only please chime in and lat me know how it works for you,thanks.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

XD-100 is no silver bullet. Neither is anything else.

XD-100 is made for Direct Injected outboards and is not meant to mix with fuel at any ratio, it is separately injected into the crankcase. It is not even good protection, much less best protection, for carbed 2 strokes.

It would take a hundred years of testing a thousand outboards to prove that any TC-W3 oil offers better protection than any other, except that you would prove pretty quickly that TC-W3 synthetics make less smoke, stink and carbon that dino oils.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I think if it were me, I'd listen to the dealer. Evinrude does not suggest using their XD-100 in pre-mix motors. They must know something about what's in the bottle. I believe it was formulated especially because of FICHT engine failures (?)

If you want the "best", why don't you use their XD-50? It is specified for pre-mix and oil injection, and is TC-W3.

boater1234

I don't want a synthetic blend,i want full synthetic.Well i will just use the 100%full synthetic pennzoil from west marine when i run out of it.If thats not available west marine has their own brand of full synthetic tcw3 oil for around $35 to $40 a gallon.No matter what oil i use it will be full synthetic in everything i own as far as machines.I just feel like i said earlier why not use the best for an outboard or any engine for the best lubrication.I will just make sure it is a good pre mix oil and tcw3 certified before i use it.

Outboards are not cheap anymore so a few extra bucks on some good oil is worth it to me at least imo.

aerobat

boater1234;3517069 How can that be as i would think when it spits the oil in a direct injected outboard it would need to mix with the gas as it goes in.Does it work different in a DI outboard or should you be able to use it either way?Thanks for any input.[/QUOTE said:
on a DI the oil never mixes with the gas but is sprayed to areas that need lubrication. the difference is that a carbed engine sucks an air/gas mixture through the crancase and a DI just air. the fuel is sprayed directly into the cylinder after compression. so premixing on a direct injection would for sure kill the engine since the oil would never see the crankase.

on the other hand i do not see why XD100 should not work with your carbed yamaha, even when the oil is not designed to be premixed it should work- but for sure its mostly a waste. xd100 is top end oil for high stressed direct injection engines and your 15hp simply does not need it.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Outboards are not cheap anymore so a few extra bucks on some good oil is worth it to me at least imo.

Actually, they are cheaper than they ever were. In 1971 it took me 3 weeks of pay to buy my new outboard. When i bought the last new one in 2007 it only took a week and a half of salary! Comparable motors and comparable jobs.

be that as it may, awhile back I reported on the XD-50 and how fantastic I found it to be. No smoke any more! I don't care if its only semi-synthetic. All I care about is the smoke. I'm sure ANY oil will protect the motor as long as you use the right amount.

Heck, when i was in high school i scrounged up 10w30 car oil and even that old motor is still running!