yamaha 1995......85 hp ....good motor?

fisherguy123

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi I posted earlier inquiring if anyone had any experience or issues about a Larivee boat and Yamaha motor combo I am considering but no replies...obviously it isn`t a real popular make of boat.....so how about the motor?
any body have any major issues or problems with a 1995 yamaha 85 hp. On the ouside it looks like new according to the photos and I`m told it runs like a charm but a lot of people selling something will tell you what you want to hear. It will cost me about $300 just to go and look at this rig....the owner says I can test drive it. any input would be appreciated !

Attachments

• y1.jpg
    y1.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 0
  • y2.jpg
    y2.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 0

V153

Lieutenant Commander
Re: yamaha 1995......85 hp ....good motor?

Sorry I can't tell you anything about the boat, never heard of a Larivee. I can tell you those Yamahas are great motors. I'll assume it's a 3 cyl which would mean it's a de-tuned 90hp. Know several people who have the 90's & they love em. Those motors are about 50lbs lighter than a comparable OMC too. Not sure where they stack up against a Merc but I'd guess they're still significantly lighter?

Crazy as it sounds I'm told they achieve this weight loss by having a slightly different compression ratio in each of the cylinders. Thus eliminating the need for heavy counterbalancers?

Oh well all I know is they run good. Buddy of mine with a 90 on a 15' Whaler snuck up & blew by me awhile back in the intracoastal. Took all I had to catch the lil sob & my boat at the time would run just under 55.

If it's gonna cost you $300 bucks just to go look at it do yourself a favor and definitely water test it. I would bring a compression tester as well. Good luck!

fisherguy123

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks for the info.....I will definitely test it out before any puchase !

BonairII

Commander

From the pics, the whole rig looks 'well cared for'...so that's a positive. Does the seller have any service records etc on the boat/motor?