Firestone Outboard Identification

jarlich

Recruit
I have an old Firestone outboard sitting in my garage that my grandpa gave me years ago.

I dont see an information plate anywhere.

The only markings I see, except the Red lettering of 'Firestone' on the head, is on the shaft, 464-75727.

How can I figure out what model / year this motor is?

Any online resources someone can suggest?

Thanks!

Willyclay

Captain
Re: Firestone Outboard Identification

Welcome to the iboats.com forum! The members here are great and the experts, which I am not, can help you with any problem. Posting a picture or two might help other members identify your motor. I found a little info at the link below. After you login, drill down to: Small Engines, Marine/Boat Motors and Firestone. Looks like it could have been manufactured by either Scott which later became McCulloch or West Bend which was acquired by Chrysler. Try searching those manufacturers for pictures and service info at the same website. You also might try the AOMCI website since they focus only on older motors. Good luck!

It is a Free service and open to public and LOADED with helpful Information, Manuals, Service data etc..!

Go to: http://search.ebscohost.com/

Name: marshall

P.W. : public

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

If it has a recoil, it's probably a 46 Firestone 3.6 hp, made by Scott-Atwater for Firestone. acmeoutboards.com has a Scott manual on CD. Probably a one-cylinder, with green body and red decal.

jarlich

Recruit

I took several pictures, in case it might help. Any better idea of what exactly this motor is?

2012-05-06 16.40.07.jpg2012-05-06 16.40.51.jpg2012-05-06 16.43.05.jpg2012-05-06 16.43.47.jpg

Thanks!

jarlich

Recruit

Can anyone better identify this motor with the images I added to my last post?

Thanks for your help!

-Jerod

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

If I had to guess, I'd peg it as a late 1940s 5 horsepower model. Doesn't look quite tall enough to be a 7.5hp. Also, by the early 1950s the Firestones were getting the same gearshift that their Scott-Atwater cousins had, which yours does not have.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

My goodness, nobody knows? It is a 1946, 3.5hp, if those numbers are correct. 464 is the model number. Remove one of the covers and look at the cylinder head. If it has 4 bolts holding it on, it is a 1946 or 1947, 3.5hp. If 6 bolts, it is newer, and 3.6hp. Here is my 1947 3.5hp

Attachments

• 1947 Firestone 2 iboats.jpg
    1947 Firestone 2 iboats.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 1947 Firestone iboats.jpg
    1947 Firestone iboats.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 3

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Hey Frank - I thought I did pretty good, considering the motor was made almost 25 years before I was born! ;)

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, you did pretty good. But the dang thing was made almost 10 years AFTER I was born!!

jarlich

Recruit

Thanks for the info!

Its my grandpa's old boat motor - we dont really have a need for it, but arent sure where / how to sell it. Any suggestions?

Seems like it would be a pain to ship, so eBay would be tricky, unless I could limit it to local bidders.

Or craigslist - but I would think this would be more sought after by boat motor connoisseurs of sorts?

Any idea whats it worth? It still runs, last time we tried, and everything seems to be in working order.

Any suggestions on its value, or the best medium to sell this thing would be appreciated!

Thanks,

-Jerod

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Value? Not much. Those Firestones seem to be fairly common and as such those that want one can generally find one fairly easily and without spending much more than a couple $20 bills, or maybe a $50 bill if it's a nice one...