S80 orM80 neon test Light. best 1? where can i get 1 on line?how much?

sawcat

Seaman Apprentice
what is the difference between the two? better to have both? sparktesters? can i make my own? :confused:

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: S80 orM80 neon test Light. best 1? where can i get 1 on line?how much?

Check with "Stevens Experimental" for that and other special equipment.

sawcat

Seaman Apprentice

hey joe reeves, ive done several searches on stevens experimental & can only find articles on pshycology. can you attatch a url or other link that will lead to the online purchase of these items? can you tell me the difference between the s-80 & the m80 neon test light?can the tests described in my repair manual be done with other test equipment?if so,do you know of a publication that presents the procedure?

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

The neon lite by Stevens (S 80) and Merc-o-Tronic (M80) has not been recommended for over 20 years. The peak reading voltmeter or DVI is used now and is more accurate.<br /><br />You can buy the meters for over $100 from Stevens or Merc-o-tonic or buy the adapter for a digital meter for about $49. Several companies make them but you can order from Precision Mfg. at 800-237-5947.<br /><br /> http://outboardparts.com/troubleshooting/troubleshooting3.htm is a good place to read up on ignition system troubleshooting.

sawcat

Seaman Apprentice

thanks alot seahorse. my manual clymer 48-235hp 1973-1990 sent me in this direction. what manual will give me the proceedure for test done with volt meter? thanks again :)

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

The website in my previous post and the sheet that comes with the peak reading meters or adapters will tell you the specs that you need.

sawcat

Seaman Apprentice

thank you again all of you & thanks for the url seahorse :)