• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Building a shop crane/engine hoist for under $40

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a shop crane/engine hoist for under $40

So i saw that there are plans for an OB stand... but not an OB lift on this forum so I thought I'd post mine up. If people seem to like it, I can draft up plans and post a more comprehensive diagram of the unit. It's made of 2x4's ($16) one 2x6 ($4) and some chain and a come along winch (20 bucks at home depot)

You can also use for lifting the deck/cap off your boat!

I have an OB stand in one of the pictures, but I didn't use that. I used the dolly in the other pic so I could wheel it around and I made the dolly in less than 5 mins... It's some scrap wood and 4 castors!

Zak

Boat
    Manatee Mystery boat Paint job soon to be in progress
    Engine
    '71 Chrysler 70 HP Repower coming soon
    Tow Truck
    '03 4Runner limited V8

Over-engineering only means that there may be a simplier way to do it. Not that the outome has fallen short of the objective!

Re: Building a shop crane/engine hoist for under $40

Any takers?
    Zak

Boat
    Engine
    Tow Truck
    '03 4Runner limited V8

Over-engineering only means that there may be a simplier way to do it. Not that the outome has fallen short of the objective!

Comment

Looks quite useable. Pretty self explanatory on how to build one by looking at you pics, Any one that wanted to make one could probably customize thier own to fit there particular needs, just by looking at your pics. Nice job though. Looks like one we would use to hang deer at deer camp ! We had better luck hooking up a hand crank winch[like on the front of your boat trailer]with 2 rollers, mount the winch to the side posts, that way you don't have to climb on a ladder, to crank the handle, or a chain hoist if it got really heavy. [More money, more involved to build though]
      86 THUNDERCRAFT LEGACY 18 FT MERCRUISER 4.3 2 BBL 185 HP ALPHA 1 GET IN, SIT DOWN, SHUT UP, HOLD ON !!! TOW RIG 01 CHEVY SILVERADO STD CAB LONG BOX 4X4 5.3 Z71
      sigpic
      GO NAVY!!! USS MERRILL DD 976- SPRUANCE CLASS DESTROYER- ONBOARD 81-85 INTERIOR COMMUNICATION ELECTRICIAN PO 3RD CLASS- TEST SHIP FOR THE TOMAHAWK CRUISE MISSILE. NAS KEFLAVIK ICELAND 86-87

Comment

That's a really good idea.. I have a spare winch and some rollers I might play around with now. The ladder was always a pain!
        Zak

Boat
        Engine
        Tow Truck
        '03 4Runner limited V8

Comment

Originally posted by zopperman View Post
          That's a really good idea.. I have a spare winch and some rollers I might play around with now. The ladder was always a pain!
          Yeah, I started with the ladder thing as well. I do like the way you sandwiched the top cross bar on top of, and between the uprights. Hadnt thought of that...
          86 THUNDERCRAFT LEGACY 18 FT MERCRUISER 4.3 2 BBL 185 HP ALPHA 1 GET IN, SIT DOWN, SHUT UP, HOLD ON !!! TOW RIG 01 CHEVY SILVERADO STD CAB LONG BOX 4X4 5.3 Z71
          sigpic
          GO NAVY!!! USS MERRILL DD 976- SPRUANCE CLASS DESTROYER- ONBOARD 81-85 INTERIOR COMMUNICATION ELECTRICIAN PO 3RD CLASS- TEST SHIP FOR THE TOMAHAWK CRUISE MISSILE. NAS KEFLAVIK ICELAND 86-87

Comment

Looks good. You'll need to add diagonally bracing so your header doesn't move laterally. The 4 bolts through the 2x6 aren't quite enough.
            When a shop owner, tech, highly knowledgeable shade tree mechanic, and others generously offer free advice that solve your problem...

Can you kindly close out your topic with the solution, so other anxious boat owners can benefit from your experience...

Comment

Yeah, I thought about the diagonals... Then I screwed it into my wooden floor in my garage I'm considering adding braces -- one or two on each side from the 2x6 to the sides, not across the middle.

and thanks Paul
              Zak

Boat
              Engine
              Tow Truck
              '03 4Runner limited V8

Comment

Originally posted by zopperman View Post
                Yeah, I thought about the diagonals... Then I screwed it into my wooden floor in my garage I'm considering adding braces -- one or two on each side from the 2x6 to the sides, not across the middle.

and thanks Paul
                Thank You as well for the cross brace idea.. Remember also, If your winch has a rope, not a strap, you could use pulleys with multiple wheels, instead of rollers. Then you can double, triple, quadruple your lifting force.
                sigpic

Comment

What is the safe working limit of this lift?
                  Grady White 226
                  200 Evinrude Ocean Pro
                  Evinrude Renegade Offshore Prop

Furuno FCV 587 Sounder
                  Garmin 4208 Multifunction Display
                  ICOM M504A VHF
                  Shakespeare Galaxy 5225-XT Antennas

Comment

That's another great idea! I thought of working a pulley into it somehow at first, but I got pretty lazy.

Dingbat, I'm not too sure. It's lifting some pretty heavy things before. I think the heaviest OB I've lifting with it is about 300-350 LBS. The come along is rated to 1 ton.

I've had a buddy who pulled a car engine with two 2x6's screwed together, a come along and the rafters of his garage. I'm guessing if you added another 2x6 to this you could make it pretty sturdy. I've NEVER heard a crack or felt unsafe. Hope that helps
                    Zak

Boat
                    Engine
                    Tow Truck
                    '03 4Runner limited V8

Comment

if you can do a diagram that would be great!

Comment

For outboards, I've been using the winch on my atv.
                        Synthetic cable runs up to a pulley which is hung from a doubled 2x4, which runs thru 3 of the roof trusses.

Works like a charm, cost about $10, working limit of 500# or so until the atv starts to lift in the front.

As always, don't get any fingers or other body parts under the motor, and always steer clear of the cable, just in case.

In the past, I have used a small block and tackle, kind of awkward when working over a boat.

Medford, WI

Comment

Years ago I made what looked like a swing set out of 2 X 6s to lift a 1936 21ft Garwood sedan utility.
                          Used a come-along, I know they aren't for lifting, I lifted one end at a time to get it off a trailer and on to a frame to roll it into the garage(trailer was too tall) and back on the trailer after the restoration.These old boats had lifting rings bow and stern making the actual lifting easy. I used concrete blocks to hold the boat up between lifts stern like this \ / bow _ like this. This way they work together to resist wobble.

Comment

I love it when people take the time to share their neat plans.

But I would encourage all who consider this project including the OP to take the time to read the specs. Most winches of this type are not designed or rated for overhead lifting. Using one for that purpose may result in serious injury or property damage. A heavy duty rope or chain hoist could be substituted for the winch.

Take care.
                            Colbyt

Comment

Wow,I would not use that! Wood crossmember? Nope........
                              If ya can't fix it with a hammer,ya got yourself an electrical problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X