Trim/tilt hydraulic fluid - which one? Manuals differ in recommendations.

BigBabyLou

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have three manuals for my 1989 King Cobra and every one of them recommends different hydraulic fluid for the trim/tilt system. One manual says "use automotive oil with specification SAE 30", another manual tells me to use transmission fluid type F, the third one recommends solemnly marine power trim/tilt fluid.<br /><br />Up until now, I have always believed that transmission fluid and engine oil were different. The manuals caused a pretty big confusion to me.<br /><br />If you know, can you please explain to me what the proper fluid is and why the manuals mention different types?<br /><br />Thank you very much<br />Lou

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Trim/tilt hydraulic fluid - which one? Manuals differ in recommendations.

use the tranny fluid. that's all trim/tilt fluid is. i bet your manuel says to use omc trim/tilt fluid? they tell us to use that cause it cost more $$$. i've used tranny fluid in my 87 cobra for years. never had a problem.

Mumblerone

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would never use engine 'oil' in a hydraulic situation...but, I'm always ready to learn. :(

clanton

Rear Admiral

Dextron ATF.

f_inscreenname

Commander

Older Mercruiser trim pump. SAE 30

BigBabyLou

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you, guys, for your replies.<br /><br />I was betting on the ATF (the trim/tilt unit is a hydraulic system, afterall) but was baffled by the SAE 30. As of now, I have SAE 30 in my trim/tilt system (the manual which recommended it was the first manual for my boat I ever read) but if I need to bleed the system next time, I will most likely go with ATF.<br /><br />And yes, Sea Wolf, you're right, the original Owner's Manual says "only OMC Trim/Tilt fluid". Of course we don't fall for that. We're smart people. We know a lot of stuff. Mostly thanks to this board! :cool: <br /><br />Thanks again for all the input! It's more than appreciated.<br />Lou