Cold Start 1980 Johnson ... Choke Plates or Primer?

rlowhorn

Seaman Apprentice
I have a boat with a 1980 Johnson 70hp. This is my first electric start with a remote key and I am trying to learn how to start it cold. I have read the FAQ on this and found the following statement about the key.

As I ask this question I know that it will be obvious that I do not know anything about this so here goes. Does this statement say that just by puting the key into the switch that there is a signal given to the motor that activates the choke plates or primer? If so please someone give me the beginners explanation on what the choke plates are. Also, if I leave my key in the ignition, as I have been doing, does that cause a problem on the cold start? The boat seems to run good after warmed up, but the first start is very difficult.

2.Push the key in, activating the choke plates or primer.

Fed

Commander
Re: Cold Start 1980 Johnson ... Choke Plates or Primer?

The whole key assembly (the part the key goes into) is also a pushbutton switch.
You can leave the key in as it only activates when you push on it, you should be able to hear the solenoid click inside the engine cowl when you do it.
The solenoid operates either a primer valve or carby butterflies, I believe you have the later.
A primer valve injects gas straight into the engine where as butterflies close & choke off air to the engine.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The choke or primer system will NOT activate unless you push in on the key with the switch in the RUN or START position. You should always squeeze the primer bulb until it firms up before any cold start. Are you familiar with the "fast idle" lever?

rlowhorn

Seaman Apprentice

Are you talking about the lever on face of the accelerator? What I have learned is that I should first make sure I have the right gas mixture and I have also found out that I do not want to use gas with ethanol. I pump the primer bulb until it is hard, prior to trying to start. Then I assume now I push in the key to activate the primer valve/choke plates/carby butterflies. I set the fast idle (accelerator) to about 3/4 and turn key. Is there anything else? Oh, also I learner, not tried yet, that it can help to lift the motor a little to minimize back pressure.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You have a bit of misinformation. You can use fuel with ethanol since it is difficult to find fuel without it in many locations these days. The engine itself doesn't care about ethanol. The rubber parts in the fuel system is what can cause a problem. But all you need to do is change those parts with modern replacements and go. You turn the key THEN push the key in to activate the choke or primer. There is absolutely no need to tilt the motor up to start.

rlowhorn

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for all your help. Starting much better.