how to fix flywheel magnets?

wrestler20

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1985 2.5 seadrive that two of the magnets inside of the flywheel came loose. It appears like the epoxy just gave way. i see there is a repair kit from outboardparts.com that has little hold down clamps that are attached to the flywheel. The problem is that right where i would have to drill and tap a hole to put these in is where there are drill holes i assume were for balancing the flywheel? Is there any reliable way to re-epoxy the magnets, or would it be best to start looking for a used one? Thanks Steve

Trent

Captain
Re: how to fix flywheel magnets?

Iv used marine tex with great success.

clanton

Rear Admiral

Duro 2 tube epoxy works as good as anything, clean flywheel until shiney, remove all epoxy from magnets. Apply even coat of epoxy to magnet, magnet will hold itself to the flywhell, until the epoxy sets. Remove excess epoxy. The magnets all have to be installed same direction. Let set 24 hours. If you remove all magnets to reglue I think the spacing in 7/16. The magnets not timed to flywheel.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

I forgot to add in the previous post, that you can epoxy the retainer in place or fill one of the balance holes with epoxy, then drill and tap it for the retainer screw.<br /><br />If you decide to epoxy the magnets, use the factory epoxy packages (listed in the Parts and Accessory Catalog) and bead blast the magnet mounting area. If you don't, any corrosion will build up and pop the magnet(s) loose after a while. <br /><br />Epoxy kit, enough for 2 magnets #431929<br /><br />single magnet and epoxy kit #584304

wrestler20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

after i put in the retaining clips and fill in some of the balance holes, do i need to re-balance the flywheel? If so, can any shop do this?