• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

What kind of gas to use

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of gas to use

I just purchased my first boat so I am not sure what kind of gas to use. I have a 1998 150 mercury outboard and it did not come with an owner's manual. Recently, I put the low grade gas with ethanol in it and the motor seems to sputter more. Do I need to add a gas additive or switch to gas without ethanol?

Re: What kind of gas to use

Use 87 octane pump gas, with or without Ethanol, use Stabil all the time, but a bit more when fuel may be sitting in the tank for several weeks or months between boat use, install a fuel/water separator type filter(Walmart/Attwood unit $27), it will help stop water/dirty fuel related problems. If your motor is not running right, you may need to get carbs cleaned, check spark plugs, etc. Good Luck!

Comment

Installing a water seperator is a good idea. Regular pump gasoline w/ ethanol is fine. Stabilizer is not needed until winter, if even then.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris1956 View Post
        Installing a water seperator is a good idea. Regular pump gasoline w/ ethanol is fine. Stabilizer is not needed until winter, if even then.
        Well, I use Stabil all the time and never have any fuel problems at all. So the price of Stabil is worth it for my peace of mind, especially since my boat may sit for a couple of months between uses. In fact, I use Stabil in my lawnmowers, weed-eaters, blowers, etc., keeps the gas from screwing up the carbs. Good Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by robert graham View Post
          Well, I use Stabil all the time and never have any fuel problems at all. So the price of Stabil is worth it for my peace of mind, especially since my boat may sit for a couple of months between uses. In fact, I use Stabil in my lawnmowers, weed-eaters, blowers, etc., keeps the gas from screwing up the carbs. Good Luck!
          You use stabil....I use nothing, neither of us have any problems.....what does that tell you.

I'm not saying products like stabil aren't of any value, only that using them all the time is a waste of money, but does give peace of mind.

Comment

My 2 cents..... A critical point is what BRAND of gas you put in the engine. Cheap gas from those little store combination stations are quite often the tank bottoms from major brands. Lots of impurities and high percentages of undesireable compounds. I found Arco & Shell 87 octane to be the best. Chevron gas seemed to cause higher engine temperatures when I was racing my Merc 40HP.

Comment

Hay Sentinel, do you think those mom-and-pop stores have their own refineries? Their gasoline comes from the same refineries as everyone else. It can be a bit older since the demand is less, so the tank is not refilled too often.

Robert, I think I will invest in Stabil stock, just cause guys like you spend their money on that stuff..unnecessarily

Comment

Originally posted by sentinel View Post
                My 2 cents..... A critical point is what BRAND of gas you put in the engine. Cheap gas from those little store combination stations are quite often the tank bottoms from major brands. Lots of impurities and high percentages of undesireable compounds. I found Arco & Shell 87 octane to be the best. Chevron gas seemed to cause higher engine temperatures when I was racing my Merc 40HP.
                From another site by a person in the industry.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
                What is different between the Xon gas and say Shell or Chevon?

Proprietary additives. Chevron uses Techron, Shell uses whatever theirs is called, and Exxon used to use BASF. Additives are what "brands" the gas. Exxon no longer has branded gas (at least not around here) so their gas is "generic" like unbranded stations. I work in a storage terminal that used to have Exxon product. We stored Exxon BASF additive that was injected into base gas at our loading rack. The Exxon additive was for Exxon's branded stations ONLY. A few years back, Exxon pulled out, so more more Exxon additive. They still sell unbranded gas that gets a generic additive.

Base gas is fungible. It doesn't matter who refined it, shipped it, stored it, or what country it came from. The only difference are the additives that are injected into the gas while it's being loaded on to the tanker truck.
                Branded gas MUST go to it's corresponding branded station. It's a big no-no to dump unbranded gas at a branded station or vice-versa, or to dump a load of Chevron at a Shell station.

Quote:
                Why is one good or better than the other?

Additives again. But a while ago (before the ethanol mandate) some brands (ARCO and a few others) were selling E10 year-round while everybody else sold clear gas. Due to tax breaks and other mischief they were always cheaper thaneverybody else. But now we have mandatory 10% ethanol, so it's all pretty much crap.

Quote:
                If the gas sits in the storage yard tanks for months, why it is, some say gas goes bad in several weeks?

Old wive's tale. It takes a lot longer that that for gas to go "bad". On the other hand, large storage tanks aren't like other tanks. They're designed to prevent vapor accumulation and emissions. Basically, there's no evaporation, even though the tanks have to be vented. There's a lot more to a tank than just a big steel cylinder, which is why they cost a bloody fortune to build and maintain.

Quote:
                i worked in an independant gas station at one time. it was called red bird. when we got gas it came from different gas companies. most of the time it came from marathon. and we never added anything to our gas. my son worked at a marathon station. he said they didnt add anything there. so if the gas comes from the same truck its got to be the same gas.

Yes and no. A carrier (tanker) can load wherever he wants, or at least wherever he's authorized to. I used to haul branded ARCO gas, but it wasn't an ARCO truck. I worked for a carrier that contracted to ARCO to pull loads that ARCO didn't have enough trucks for. Some ARCO station owners used to get irritated when I'd pull in in a "Plain Jane" truck to deliver their gas. They said that it reinforced rumors that ARCO was selling whatever gas it could get it's hands on, which is true at the wholesale level, but true for everybody.

And BTW, I'll end my monologue with a note about carriers. BP is the only "major" oil company left in Portland that runs their own trucks. Chevron pulled out of the transportation side about a year ago. Shell/Texaco a few years before that. There's some "76" (Conoco) trucks running around, but they're not owned, at least officially, by Conoco.

1pump
                View Public Profile
                Send a private message to 1pump
                Find More Posts by 1pump
                Add 1pump to Your Contacts

05-22-2011, 03:28 PM #9
                sadiesassy
                Chromer

Comment

Originally posted by Chris1956 View Post
                  Bad advice sir. Stabilizer is not a "seasonal" issue. It is a "storage" issue. If one does not use a lot of fuel adding a fuel system treatment is essential to avoid fuel issues. If uses fuel quickly, then it is not as important. Keep in mind that fuel system treaments are not just intended to keep fuel from going bad. Products like Sea Foam help keep the fuel system clean as well.

Comment

Comparing the price/costs of fuel additives like Stabil and Ringfree against the aggravation, time and costs of plugged carbs/injectors/fuel systems, it's a no-brainer for me. I don't care to drag my boat 500 miles to Florida just to have a plugged up fuel system ruin the trip for me and the wife. My motor is a 1999 and so far it's been 100% dependable, all the time, every time. It's called preventive maintenance. Good Luck!

Comment

I typically use Exxon (only because it's close) and I always use the highest octane, typically 93. I may be wrong but I've always heard the the higher octane burns more efficiently and maybe hotter which could possible enhance performance.

I can't find any stations anymore that advertise "No Ethanol" so I guess I'm stuck the the Eth crap.

hd883chopper.
                      sigpic
                      1989 Rinker - 23' Festiva Cuddy
                      5.7 Mercruiser w/ Volvo DuoProp Outdrive

2004 SeaDoo
                      GTX 4-Tec Supercharger

Comment

"[quote] Comparing the price/costs of fuel additives like Stabil and Ringfree against the aggravation, time and costs of plugged carbs/injectors/fuel systems, it's a no-brainer for me. I don't care to drag my boat 500 miles to Florida just to have a plugged up fuel system ruin the trip for me and the wife. My motor is a 1999 and so far it's been 100% dependable, all the time, every time. It's called preventive maintenance. Good Luck! "

That's what I mean by "peace of mind".

The motor I use the most is a 1998 that I've had since it was new, it's had stabil in it about three times and seafoam maybe three times during its life. I have never had a single issue, whether it sits for only a day, or many months, it always starts and runs fine with no additives.

What it means is that few people have issues whether they use every additive all the time, or none of them. Again, I'm not saying some of these additives aren't useful in some circumstances. Only that using them 100% of the time is a "feel good" preventative maintenance plan.

Comment

Originally posted by hd883chopper View Post
                          I typically use Exxon (only because it's close) and I always use the highest octane, typically 93. I may be wrong but I've always heard the the higher octane burns more efficiently and maybe hotter which could possible enhance performance.

hd883chopper.
                          Incorrect.

Comment

Thanks for the support Ondarvr. I have been boating since the 60s, and did not know about fuel stabilizers until the late 90s. I am surprized all my motors still run - sarcasm

My fuel sits for weeks until I use it up, in my speedboat and oops, I forgot to fog her last winter, it is amazing it still runs - more sarcasm

Seriously if spending $$ on additives make you feel better, it beats paying a mental health professional, or kicking the dog. I have my doubts they are necessary.

BTW - High-test fuel burns at a lower temperature than regular fuel. It is also more resistant to pre-detonation. On some motors you can take advantage of this property and advance the ign timing for better performance.

Comment

Simply put, if you are going to buy the sales pitch then you are going to buy the product.

Is Stabil needed in every tank of gas? NO

Can you do it to make you feel better? SURE

All I know is the methods that I use have never lead to a fuel related problem in the last 30 years so that's what I do.

If people want to spend their money on whatever makes them feel better then let them, I'm not going to run out and buy "the next best thing" that comes onto the market just because the manufacturer makes claims about it.
                              1985 Baretta Vanguard 16ft & 1984 Evinrude 75hp O/B

****Running your motor without water is like peeing into the wind, it's a stupid impulse that is going to be a mess later****

Comment

Working...
                              X