TC-W3 Read this.

Navigator_Victory

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: TC-W3 Read this.

ondavr....I attempted to PM you but, inbox full.....it was off topic so I went ahead and deleted what I posted as it was not helpful just me popping off another use for TCW3.....anyhow yes I have an older diesel and I did not go into detail cause this is a boat or mostly boat forum and who cares about a diesel truck.....when your talking outboards.....my bad....I will go back to my corner and lurk quietly :)

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Nobody said anything about not talking about diesels. http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/

Ondavr is correct about TCW-3 Brands. I ran Pennzoil blended in my Merc two strokes until they were broken in and then switched to full synthetic. A 2011 Merc owners manual say's you can substitute other TCW-3 blended/synthetics if the Quicksilver isn't available. I think the Optimax's still have their own special oil requirements. I don't know for sure I haven't had to deal with a new one.

If you go to Autozone you'll find a myriad of oils available. My bet is that most of them come from the same refineries and the rest is marketing hype.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

ondavr....I attempted to PM you but, inbox full.....it was off topic so I went ahead and deleted what I posted as it was not helpful just me popping off another use for TCW3.....anyhow yes I have an older diesel and I did not go into detail cause this is a boat or mostly boat forum and who cares about a diesel truck.....when your talking outboards.....my bad....I will go back to my corner and lurk quietly :)

I did a little research on the oil in diesel fuel subject.

It looks like the government has set wear levels the diesel must meet now that the sulfur has been reduced and some people believe this level can be improved and there are many companies in the market that claim to have products that increase the lubricity of the diesel.

The testing showed that some products did improve it, some did nothing, and others made it worse. Sounds about like most fuel additives, the claims are great, but the reality is typically far less. TCW3 2 stroke oil helped, but was not compatible with 2007 and newer diesels.

The question is, is the government mandated level of lubricity enough, and does increasing it help. This is the kind of grey area where additive companies can make huge profits, everybody wants something better, bigger, faster, slicker??whether it really helps or not. I have no clue as to whether the additives are of any value, but they sure make people ?feel? better about their trucks.

John_S

Rear Admiral

ondarvr, I'd be interested in yours thoughts on what I posted on #16. I had come across it when looking for oil info on a classic sled that had 1st generation oil injection. I was surprised about some of the issues claimed about TCW3, but never tried to validate them. Some things claimed, did match others I've heard elsewhere.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

What you posted falls in line with most everything I've read and experienced over the years, there were minor differences and some new things, but good info. As motors of all types became more refined and purpose build, so did the oils used in them. Sometimes new products only work well in a narrow window, but when in that window they do an excellent job, this applies all to types of products.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

No need to delete anything I love to be able to discuss stuff and lay it out so people with different views and experiences can voice their opinion.

Navigator_Victory

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks just did not want to cause trouble.....forums sometimes go astray that way

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

the reason i asked, I have seen oil sold as "two stroke" with pictures of outboards and land-based machinery on them. I'm glad to learn the differences here in "two stroke oil" and TC-W3

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

I've been running Walmart's house brand outboard motor oil in my 1985 Yamaha 115 horsepower oil injection since it was new. I've never had any oil related problem.

The same oil has been run in my 1990 SeaDoo since it was new--and it still runs great. I've pulled the head, and it's as clean as can be.

I used to have a SeaDoo RX PWC, and it was a little more exotic--with a power valve and single ring (like a motorcross bike.) You have to use a synthetic in it.

If I had an Optimax motor, I would be using the specified Quicksilver oil--at least until it got out of warranty. Then, I'd switch over to Amsoil equivalent at a much lower price.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
The only air cooled 2 strokes that I have seen TCWIII recommended for were Lawn Boy 2 stroke lawn mowers and Toro 2 stroke snow blowers. I have had a Toro single stage snow blower with a 2 stroke Suzuki engine and the recommendation was TCWIII. Most lawnmower shops were unaware of the reason for this. Apparently snow blowers run at a lower speed than (3600-3800 rpm) than blowers, chainsaws, weedwackers, etc that can spin up to 8,000 rpm.
Unlike the other machines snow blowers are governed to run at that speed, there is no throttle control as such. The 2 stroke oil for them, can cause deposits in the snow blower engines. So I have 2 different mixes for my 2 stroke machines. The Echo machines all get the Echo oil for air cooled 2 strokes and the Toro/Suzuki gets Pennzoil Marine full synthetic TCW-III. BTW that engine is 17 years old and still runs great. You can see the difference in running temp judging by the spark plug condition, vs the Echo stuff. The Toro/Suzuki plug is always darker, needing replacement more often, the Echo machines plugs are more of a light brown and never get close to fouling.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Lou - This thread is a little old. 3 1/2 years old.