gas additives for outboards?

Sixmark

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: gas additives for outboards?

Sea Foam | E-85 Fuels and Sea Foam

Ethanol tends to strip engine oil from cylinder walls and can be harsh on ... Helps prevent corrosion issues common to E-85 fuels and removes moisture - Add ...
www.seafoamsales.com/e-85-fuels-and-sea-foam.html - Cached - Simila

Do you have any clue what the difference is between E85 and other gasoline sold today? It's just a percentage rating of fuel vs. ethanol.

Unless it specifically says "No Ethanol" then there is going to be some ethanol in it, if you are going to be naive enough to run E85 in a motor not listed as suitable for E85 or containing a "Flex Fuel" disclaimer, then you deserve to have issues with the motor.

What you are trying to do is back up a claim that you made based on manufacturers claims, they are very misleading and you bought into it. What they failed to tell you is that ethanol in large percentages can have adverse effects, but I don't know of many people that run E85 in their boat unless it's rated for it.

I guess I better plan on buying a new motor now that this breakthrough in science has happened, as my motor has been run on ethanol fuel since they started selling it. I'm sure that it must be totally dry inside and is ready to explode.

Sixmark

Master Chief Petty Officer

2004 Otimax 150 and has to replace all the injectors. Took it all the way to Merc to try to find out. They found the cause was the ethonal in the fuel was not allowing the proper oil mix and was carrying to much water to the injectors. The injectors are very sensitve to anything but fuel. They even warn against even using starting fluid or anything else it these engines. I have used the stabil for years and has never let me down. When using it the engine preforms better and have no more problems.

So they could tell the difference between the water that was introduced to the engine via ethanol, versus the water that could have found it's way into the tank in other ways. I didn't know that Mercury was doing molecular seperation studies at their dealerships now.

We have been warning people not to use starting fluid for years, not exactly cutting edge news there.

wifisher

Chief Petty Officer

So where does the star tron put the ethanol after it removes it? If it is not deposited outside of the tank, it is not removed. The ethanol can not just disappear.

"But I saw it in an advertisement. It HAS to be true."

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Most of these additives help "neutralize" the bad effects of ethanol, and help prevent phase separation (where the gas and ethanol seperate in your tank like Italian salad dressing, a bad thing).
This is the claim of many Snake oil salesman. (everybody remember Slick-50? they were sued by the Federal Trade Commision many years ago for false claims.....)

Also, the standard method to test for ethanol in gasoline requires you to put water in the test sample and shake THEN look for separation. Ethanol doesn't readily separate from gasoline UNLESS you introduce water. I think water in my gas is just as bad as water + ethanol in my gas. The result is essentially the same...... plugged filters,

10% is the MAXIMUM level of ethanol that can be used in gasoline in the US (except E85 for Flex-fuel vehicles)

If you were to test gasoline you buy at the local ARCO.....you may find that it's probably less. (near ZERO in some areas during certain times of the year)

Some areas only require oxygenation from something like OCT-APR etc..... This seems to change yearly......

Like someone said earlier in so many words........

People like to blame oxygenated fuel for a variety of problems that are not always "caused" by it....

I have used the stabil for years and has never let me down. When using it the engine preforms better and have no more problems.
Good for you.......But what does it mean when someone like me says, " I have NEVER used STABIL and have had NO problems"?

It's sort of like the brand of oil you use..... If it makes you feel good......use it and go boating!!

ymmv.......

Wow -- I'm glad I decided to put in my two-cents worth on this thread. I most definately stand corrected! Marine Sta-bil CLAIMS to "fight many of the damaging effects of ethanol in gasoline in the moisture-laden marine environment. Ethanol attracts water from the air , which causes corrosion to marine fuel tanks, fuel lines, carburetors, and injectors". This stuff "removes" nothing from the gas. Thanks to everyone for opening my eyes to this farce and making this newbie feel so welcome to these forums. I'll be more careful if I ever decide to post in here again !

85 BOMBER

Seaman

Wow -- Thanks to everyone for opening my eyes to this farce and making this newbie feel so welcome to these forums. I'll be more careful if I ever decide to post in here again !

I know the feeling Mike..

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Thanks to everyone for opening my eyes to this farce and making this newbie feel so welcome to these forums. I'll be more careful if I ever decide to post in here again !
Mike,

Please don't take it personally.......But you have to realize, when someone comes on an (essentially) opinion forum and repeats unproven marketing claims (testimonials),

SOMEONE else will invariably disagree......