Panther T&T

will941s

Chief Petty Officer
Was looking online for options for my Merc 25 hp 2-stroke that does not have tilt and trim, nor was it ever available for the motor. I found pretty much every company makes models for small OB's but the idea of such a huge setback scares me, being that I believe I would have to get a longer steering cable to accomodate for the setback and the rise when it's in it's "up" postion. Then I found a model made by Panther that is integrated into the transom bracket and uses the motors swivel assembly to lift the motor....the way factory system would work. Problem is, it's made for Johnson and Evinrude motors from 20hp to 35hp. So I got thinking, both of them have pretty close designs in their clamp and swivel systems, I wonder if I could make it work on a Mercury 25. Thoughts?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Panther T&T

Since you didn't get a response here....have you tried asking Panther? From what I understand, their products and support are really good.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I have a a CMC TT and have found that the set back is actually good, it allows me to run my engine a little bit higher than I could just mounted to the transom and I didn't have any probelms with my cable either, ti si only 5''-6''.

Never seen a Panther but would be really careful modifying the motor mount, lots of stress and if you get it a little wrong it could really hurt the engine.

will941s

Chief Petty Officer

The Panter bolts to the inner two trim holes in the transom bracket, and the ram cannects to the swivel. So it kind of looks like a regular unit, just hangs down a little more. I looked at the CMF unit, which is about $100 cheaper, and I know they have a really good reputation. 5 1/2 " of setback really isnt that much, but my steering cable is tight as it is though. Thats what scares me is that it may not accomodate 5 or so more inches. I am interested and seeing what setback would do to a small outboard.....what kind of performance I would gain. I've heard any setback at all makes great improvements.