1977 75hp johnson stinger info

vergil

Petty Officer 1st Class
going over the motor for the year and have a few ?s
how do i know the water pump is working on this pig?(it has no **** hole)
how do i know its charging?(put the ol volt meter on it and anything over 12 volts is good?)
how much lower unit oil should the lower unit hold? i have changed the oil but it doesnt seem to hold more then 1/2 a quart
and what is the proper sized batt as far as cold cranking amps go for the johnson?
thanks for any and all replies

D

DJ

Re: 1977 75hp johnson stinger info

going over the motor for the year and have a few ?s
how do i know the water pump is working on this pig?(it has no **** hole) you should see water spray from the vents at the top of the leg. If you do not know when the pump was changed-you're overdue.
how do i know its charging?(put the ol volt meter on it and anything over 12 volts is good?). anything over current battery voltage is ok. Tested at the battery.
how much lower unit oil should the lower unit hold? that's a little on the low side. Did you replace the fill/drain plug seals? If not, it will leak. i have changed the oil but it doesnt seem to hold more then 1/2 a quart. did you change it correctly? Pushing fluid up from the drain hole?
and what is the proper sized batt as far as cold cranking amps go for the johnson?
Thanks for any and all replies
650-750 cca.

vergil

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks dj, i plan on a new water pump pretty quick, i got 14 volts at the batt, so i assumed that was good, didnt know there was seals at the plugs? thanks for that lttle tidbit, and as far as the lower unit oil change i tried to push it up with the bottle that has the nipple for it, (is there a trick to that?) but ended up filling it up through the top hole till it came out,
the battery i got was 550 cca so its a hair small,

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

You have to fill it from the bottom. Hopefully you did not take out the phillips head screw in the lower unit and try to fill it from there.

vergil

Petty Officer 1st Class

no but i dont even see a phillips head screw that everyone talks about removeing, i see some small hex heads but thats it, where is the phillips?

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

After looking at it, I don't think that gearcase has one.

cdnfarmer

Recruit

there will be a flat head screw on the lower side of the gear case hump near skeg, plus another flat head at the higher end of the lower unit, both are on right side of motor looking at it from the back. open both screws to drain whole gear case. after that remove only the lower first, install your filler tube or bottle of gear oil, then remove top screw and push til oil comes out of top screw hole, install top screw then bottom.