What trips timer base to signal power pack

dewley

Seaman Apprentice
Have tracked problem to timer base connectors where hooks into power pack. Timer base has no signal at one wire to fire plug. This is a new timer base. Problem will clear up at times and run perfect. Had extra power pack, hooked in with same problem. Traced to timer base--replaced that same problem. Manual is on back order, has been run in water tank at dealer for 45 minutes with no fault. Put on water to fish may happen today or maybe tomorrow , but not when it is close to a dealer for repair. Anybody have an idea?? Any appreciated!!

clanton

Rear Admiral
Re: What trips timer base to signal power pack

Which color wire has no signal? Which color wire are you using for common/ground or connecting the black meter lead to? Are you using peak reading meter?<br /><br />Magnet in flywheel and coil in timer makes signal to power pack.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

What is your motor's model number? Some timer bases have computer chips in them and a special procedure for resistance checks, depending on what type of ohmmeter you have.<br /><br />You do need a peak reading voltmeter, or adapter for a digital meter, to test the outputs, just like Clanton mentioned<br /><br />Try<br /><br /> http://outboardparts.com/troubleshooting/troubleshooting3.htm

clanton

Rear Admiral

Seahorse its a 1992 4 cylinder 120hp looper 90 degree.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

OK, now we are getting somewhere. Your timer has 8 sensors in it, 4 for starting and 4 for running. I don't have a manual handy today, but there are different resistance readings for each group of 4 sensors.<br /><br />A common sensor probem is a bad crimp or connection at the pin or socket inside each rubber connector (Amphenol connector). Remove the offending pin and the equivalent one from the powerpack connector and inspect the crimp and wire condition. Sometimes you will find one pushed back a little to far to make a good connection.<br /><br />The timer bases are very reliable, but you do need a peak reading meter to test the outputs and any shorts to ground.<br /><br />One thing to keep in mind if you have one dead cylinder, a fualty ignition coil on the previous firing bank, can affect the following one. For example, a bad #2 coil can give a no spark condition on #4. It can drive you up a wall to find that out. That's why a lot of us old timers (old farts) have gray or no hair at all.

dewley

Seaman Apprentice

Well, Seahorse I need to thank Clanton for putting in year and model. I had forgot it when I hit submit button. As you can see I have posted this problem before. Here I am again to bother all of you with same stuff again. Here is what I have. Technician had pulled multi plugs and checked with meter, showed one was producing no signal.(I did not notice color) Had to order timer base which was received and installed by another dealer since first was a distance away. After having saw the test result I was sure that replacement of base would cure problem. Installed base, started on water hose, ran fine. Put on water,it lost a cylinder from first start, <br />let idle(sometimes in past this cured problem) started down lake to fish and still was missing. Went about a mile, fished for while--45 min. Fired up motor to move, running perfect. Went home--3 hours later run on hose at house, miss returned and it was the same cylinder as before.<br />After replacing these parts I am curious as to what is under the flywheel and what tells the timer base to signal the power pack to fire the cylinder. I do not have the tools or equipment to check this, (I should have ordered the manual before I had a problem). I will be taking to the dealer again. I would like to have some kind of an idea of what workings are involved under the flywheel. Any help would be appreciated.

clanton

Rear Admiral

It is not unheard of for the new part bad. It the new timer is bad, should have warranty.

dewley

Seaman Apprentice

Yes, that has been my thoughts also, but, it is the same cylinder that is laying down, of course that is possible. I checked it like I said about 3 hours after getting home on the hose. I put an old plug in wire and got no fire. Is it usual for something like these bases to function and then quit for a period? Where I need to take it is closed till this coming Wed. It sure has been aggravating.

clanton

Rear Admiral

May be the first guy checked it wrong. You realy need a good ohm meter and peak reading meter to test the timer, all of the test are done by using the white wire as common. Black lead of meter to white wire, red lead to other 8 wires one at a time, 0.5 volts with peak reading meter at cranking rpms. You also need a set of jumper wire to connect to the termials.

dewley

Seaman Apprentice

Clanton, thank you very much. I will get a meter tomorrow and check it as you said. You simplified it very much, at least down to my level of understanding. Getting late must run tonight will get back tomorrow.

dewley

Seaman Apprentice

Clnton--Seahorse..run motor in water on trailer to really put a load on motor for about 45 min.<br />Running at 4500 rpm to 5000 rpm. Not a sputter pop or miss, sure moved a lot of water from launch ramp but no problem has surfaced. Run low on gas, friend who brought meters was unhappy to not be able to find problem. I am disgusted, signing off for now, do not know what to do. I am at mercy of repair shop hopefully they can find it. Thanks

clanton

Rear Admiral

You may have had a bad connection. You could try running again and heat powerpack with hair dryer, JBs trick. Power pack ground wire nice and clean?

hltenterprises

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Have you thought to check the coil on that cylinder. Coils are strange by nature there can be a short between primary and secondary windings that could only show up at a certain temp. When you get out of that range no problem. Those of us that can remeber driving cars that used coil and point knew if car shut off for no reason let it cool and if started replace coil. You mat do a vibration test while testing the coil. Take the HANDLE of screw driver while looking at ohms between primary and secondary . Then do same thing from primnary to ground and secondary to ground.

hltenterprises

Petty Officer 3rd Class

sorry left out the "thump coil" with screwdriver handle