1991 Force 9.9 horsepower Good buy? or keep looking?

ffperk236

Recruit
I have a guy who wants to sell me a 9.9 hp Force outboard for $300 bucks. It runs but has a plastic prop. Will be using it for some fishing and duck hunting. Also heard parts are scarce for these? Thanks for your help!

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1991 Force 9.9 horsepower Good buy? or keep looking?

I'd keep looking. There are better buys on Johnson and Evinrudes out there than that.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Welcome to iboats.

Yes parts are hard to come by, I don't think anyone makes aftermarket stuff or them, better to keep looking and find Johnson/Evinrude, they will aalways make parts for them.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

And I'm biased toward Johnsons and Evinrudes, but don't over look the tohatsu's (nissan mercury), or the yamaha's. I picked up a 1986 9.9 two years ago for $350. It had electric start and all the controls. I parted out the electric start,brackets and controls for $250. So net cost was $100. The deals are out there.

merc20076

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Go for Evinrude or Johnson, they are the best outboards and simpler to repair!

1979checkmate

Petty Officer 1st Class

Go for Evinrude or Johnson, they are the best outboards and simpler to repair!

Thems is fightin words in my house! :). If it ain't black-don't hang it on the back!

Prophammer

Chief Petty Officer

What else is available in your area? It sometimes come down to supply and demand!Outboards are very pricey regardless of make or model, Ive never used a Force engine but if it runs good, you are off to a good start, Any new 9.9 is going to be over a $1000 in my area so $300 doesn't sound too bad if it works well. I did run across parts for that 9.9 Force at the following link;

http://www.ishopmarine.com/ishop/js...cCatFilter=MM&eCatSupFldr=supplier-050-025-MM

I hope iboats doesn't mind that I gave you that link!Good luck what ever you decide!

Engine344

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I owned a Force 50hp...and I could not kill it? Then I had a Force 125 that just drove me to drink.....I don't pretend to know the answer to the "what is better question" ? After 17 outboards over 30 some years I owned 2 and will never own another. Just my 2 cents..........
Disclaimer; I know there are die hard Force guys out there, and I have heard from, and been towed back in by some rather stout Force engines. God bless you guys

Prophammer

Chief Petty Officer

I owned a Force 50hp...and I could not kill it? Then I had a Force 125 that just drove me to drink.....I don't pretend to know the answer to the "what is better question" ? After 17 outboards over 30 some years I owned 2 and will never own another. Just my 2 cents..........
Disclaimer; I know there are die hard Force guys out there, and I have heard from, and been towed back in by some rather stout Force engines. God bless you guys

3 boats ago, My boat left me stranded out on the Gulf! Once I had it fixed I traded that boat in at dealer because of that, then a year later I saw it go by on a lake 100 miles away from where the dealer was, it was getting along pretty well! Point is, someone took the time to work the bugs out of it! Where I lost my love for the boat, someone else gained love for it, well I think anyway, I didn't stop them and talk to them!

Engine344

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Parlay, Very good point. In the end it is just a piece of machinery....and is good as what you put into it and how much you love it. I make a point never to put any other brands down...I "prefer" a certain brand, however my point of view may not be that of others! Well said Parlay.................Hey Lion Hunter SEMPER FI

Cannondale

Petty Officer 1st Class

Welcome to iboats.

Yes parts are hard to come by, I don't think anyone makes aftermarket stuff or them....

Completely wrong, but then again, speaking from a point of ignorance make such statements easy, doesn't it?

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Approx 4 years ago I puchased a mint condition with low hours 1997 Force 15 hp for $ 600. At that time any more popular 15 hp or 9.9 hp OB in my area would sell for anywhere between $ 1000. to $ 1200. ... and 15 hp were very hard to find, so to me in my part of the world $ 300. dont sound like a lot of money for a 9.9 hp Force if it's in perfect condition and dont need any more work done on it but a tune up.
My feedback = Most major motor parts are available at my local Mercury dealer, most small parts around the engine and especialy lower unit ones are NLA.
Would I have paid $ 500. more for a similar mint condition Johnson if I could have found one = Yes. Am I happy with my 15 hp Force = yes
As per TV show ... It's your move.
Cheers

1979checkmate

Petty Officer 1st Class

agreed. They are all scrap metal in the end.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

The Force is an ok motor that with proper care will perform as it should however;
as far as parts availibility look up 9.9 & 15hp Force and Evinrude/Johnson parts here at iboats and on the internet I think you will find vastly more parts and suppliers for E/J motors.Also look up props.
I think you will find more mechanics aware of E/J repair requirements than that of the Force.

javsam

Chief Petty Officer

I have a 1986 Force 15 hp and recently picked up some N.O.S.(new old stock) parts off Ebay for very cheap,point set ($25),carb rebuild kit($20),and a spare coil for it ($40).I also purchased a new impellar for it from iboats for only $13 bucks!.For $300 bucks, that is a small amount to pay for a 9.9 hp outboard in good shape. My Force 15 hp has been a great outboard to have that is very simple to work on and the parts are still pretty cheap to buy,you just have to shop around. I also take pride in knowing that it was an American made product, and nowadays you cannot buy a new outboard of that size that is made in the USA.

Prophammer

Chief Petty Officer

Did not BayLiner always use Force engines for awhile, like back in the 80's? Sorry if I should've started a new thread but it seemed like the question fit here!

Engine344

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Not sure if I ever saw a 80's Bayliner WITHOUT ONE? Hey it got alot of people on the water for not alot of money...I had a Capri back in the day had a blast with that boat!