• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

how fast does your outboard-powered boat run?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how fast does your outboard-powered boat run?

I'm just curious to see what kind of mph's you guys are reaching with your outboard boats.. My first was a merc-force 90 which pushed my 18' bayliner 36 mph. my second a 115 v4 yamaha pushed my 20' wellcraft to only around 33mph..my current is a 150 omc on a 21 chris craft..i wasnt too impressed with my first two o/b's, but i picked up my current boat at a great price. I'm hoping to see some better performance and break the 45mph mark..obviously not all of your have your boats propped for top-end speed, but i'm just curious to hear what your running anyway
    Attached Files

Re: how fast does your outboard-powered boat run?

You will not hit 45MPH with a 150HP sterndrive in the boat pictured. I do not think you will hit 40MPH, with that rig.

My 21' Seaswirl with a 150HP Johnny OB struggles to hit 40MPH. My 18' SR I/O with a 205HPV6 hit 40 going downhill, with the wind.

Speed increases take almost exponential power increases.

Comment

Chris how much does your boat weigh? My boat in the pic is actually an outboard not a a stern drive. The outboard is under a hatch.The Boat is relatively light for the size between 22-2400lbs. And the rear 3' of my hull tapers up appearantly for less drag and quicker planing. I'm hoping to see 40+

Comment

My 21' Seaswirl is listed at 2700#. Normally hulls are tapered down, right at the rear edge, a bit to help planing time.

With the configuration of your boat, can you trim the motor. You will need max trim to get the speed you want.

Comment

I have a 17' Xpress Aluminum bass boat with a 1998, 90 HP Yamaha that will do (on a dead calm day) 47 MPH at WOT. Not that I want to go that fast, but it is what it is. I don't do WOT for any more than a couple of minutes before backing it down. I usually do about 36 at 3/4 throttle.

Comment

One of my boats is a 16 foot, 84 Bayliner Capri with an 85hp Force. The combined dry weight of hull and motor is 1000lbs. It will GPS into the low 40's but it doesn't have a tach. It'll embarass lots of newer 3.0 liter I/O's out of the hole then they catch up and walk away. (I realize that isn't much of a brag). The boat instantly gets on plane and up to top speed. The only reason it gets up that fast is because it is built feather light but you can't necessarily see the heft of a boat just by looking at it. We generally keep it propped for power however which takes a few clicks off.
            2003 Chaparral 183SS

Comment

46 mph on GPS(Speedo was almost dead on surprisingly)CVX20 Sprint with a 150 Merc l6 soon to be 150 V6 unless I can trade the pair of them for a 200 hp.

Comment

52 gps, 1979 checkmate Trimate II, 115 inline 6, only driver, 6 galons of fuel, no front or rear seats.

Comment

40 mph GPS. Grady White 226 with hardtop, #5000, V6-200HP - 2-stroke
                  Grady White 226
                  200 Evinrude Ocean Pro
                  Evinrude Renegade Offshore Prop

Furuno FCV 587 Sounder
                  Garmin 4208 Multifunction Display
                  ICOM M504A VHF
                  Shakespeare Galaxy 5225-XT Antennas

Comment

62MPH at 6200RPM for my 16' lowprofile speedboat with a Merc 135V6. With a 23" prop and some tuning it will likely hit the low 70s', however, I don't want to go that fast in that boat.

Comment

about 8mph.
                      If I run into an oyster bed going much faster it might hurt the hull.

Comment

1979 Checkmate Eluder, 1990 Johnson 200. 62 mph at 6000 rpm. Based on information from other owners I should be able to get close to 70 with some more tweaking and a different prop.

1981 Bomber 15 ft fish-n-ski (fiberglass). 1981 Johnson 90. 43 mph at 5800 rpm.

(I wanna' hear from Faztbullet on this topic, I bet he's got some stories to tell)
                        Checkmate Rebuild: http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...eckmate-eluder

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”

― Isaac Asimov

Comment

21' sea hunt CC deep v, bottom painted, Yam 150 2 stroke carbed. Hard to get 40. Trying lots of props lately but staying in basically the same range.
                          A man of constant boat tinkering.

Comment

how much do you think your bottom paint slows you down home cookin? my paint is half worn off. i personally HATE bottom paint. ruins the boats look & resale value and increases drag.
                            anyways i envy you guys running in the 50-60 mph's... makes me wanna go find a nice used 250 horse o/b

Comment

you dont need more power, just less boat! i power to 50 with just a 115...on a 16' performance hull.

Comment

Working...
                              X