Mercury/Quicksilver relationship

Shipley

Cadet
I've got a '59 Crosby that I picked up at an auction. There's no motor on it but there is a Quicksilver control unit on it with what looks like a Mercury hookup. I'm trying to renovate the boat to what I hope will be "period" condition. My question is does (or did) Mercury and Quicksilver have some type of alliance back in 1959 or thereabouts? This would help me decide what brand motor to look for. Also if anyone has a line on a '59 motor that would also be helpful. Thanks.
Shipley

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mercury/Quicksilver relationship

Mercury still uses Quicksilver as their brand identitiy the same way Chrysler uses Mopar and Chevy uses the bowtie.

They brand oil, grease, controls, cables etc as Quicksilver parts.

64osby

Admiral

I think Crosby's are great boats, post some pics. Let us know what model you have.

We have a 64 Crosby Fish N Ski with a 67 Merc 500 and a Gator trailer. I'm pretty sure it's the original package. Still runs great and looks pretty good too.

If you still have your plate that tells the max HP, maybe 90HP???, Just start looking around CL for an old Merc. You might have to buy a junk boat to go with it but it's a good way to get a nice motor.

Good luck with the restore and keep us posted.

Last edited:

Brewman61

Ensign

Mercury and Quicksilver are the same thing. Only difference is the printing on the package. Mercury branded stuff is typically sold thru authorized Mercury dealers, and Quicksilver branded is for alternative distribution chanels, retailers who are not Mercury dealers.