Engine flushing options????

SNIPER

Cadet
Are rabbit ears the only way to fresh water flush an engine. I can not run my engine in my development for long since it is not even supposed to be in here. As I understand you must run your motor for at :confused: least 20 minutes to get a decent flush. I am told that it takes this long for the motor to heat up enough for the thermostat to open and allow the water to flow through the entire system. Otherwise you are just flushing up to the thermostat. Is there any products or methods to shorten the time necessary to fresh water flush after salt water usage????? Thanks for any help!

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Engine flushing options????

Do it at the ramp before you come home. <br /><br />Many motors have a "FLUSH" port that allows you to inject water above the waterpump. Usually just another screw in the leg labled flush.

SNIPER

Cadet

If you inject above the pump it still is not getting past the thermostat if it is closed, correct? Unfortunatelly, our ramps are so swamped and hectic that even if there were somewhere to hook up to flush you would get into several battles in order to stay the 20 to 30 minutes necessary.

D

DJ

Sniper,<br /><br />There is a device on the market that muffles the engine sound for flushing. I've only seen it in the Overtons catalog. It attaches to the prop. and is for engine 40 hp. and up. It simulates back pressure and is supposed to make the engine dead quiet.<br /><br />I just ordered one.

SNIPER

Cadet

Thanks, that might work if I can find it. Do you know the name of it? I am still curious about the time frame being shortened since the longer I have it in front of my house for cleanup before dropping it at the storage the more chance I will be caught and fined.

D

DJ

Sniper,<br /><br />It is item # 37646 ($42.99) at www.overtons.com<br /><br />About 10 to 15 minutes. You should be able to feel the top cylinder get warm and see water spray from exhaust relief ports at the top of the exhaust housing.

steve forsythe

Petty Officer 1st Class

is the 20 minutes a guess or a known fact. Mine only takes about 7-10 to warm to 150 degrees and really start peeing. Also, should the engine pee right from the start or wait till it warms up to 150? Mine does not pee until it is warm it only spits mist. It doesnt overheat at all, but sometimes the pee stream is very weak. Should i be concerned??? Maybe change the impeller?? Thanks.

Ross J

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ditto on the 10 min time to open the thermo.<br />Are there any fresh water creeks on your way home that you could hang the prop into? I've done that a couple of times. I know of guys who've added their own port like that described earlier so flushing can be done silently. Although I feel the engine running to be the best otherwise the manufacturers would have included this on the motors. After all wouldn't it be great if we didn't have to flush at all like the fresh water boys!!<br />You could try it at a mates house - after all we all take them fishing don't we.....<br />Ross

Boatist

Rear Admiral

My 15 hp Johnson will open thermostat in under 5 min at adel. MY motor does not have a pee hole where water flows all the time so is easy to tell when thermostat opens also water gets hot. I did not see any info on your brand or model. Many new models have a fresh water flush adapter that will flush motor with out the thermostat opening and also do not need to run engine at all. You may be able to adapt one to your engine or if it is a newer model just go and buy adapter. My 140 HP I/O also takes about five minutes to open best way to tell on it is temp guage stops going up at 150 degrees. I can fulsh it with ear muff or a adapter I put on outdrive which is what I use but still need to wait for thermostat to open. Out here most saltwater ramps have a flushing station and a 15 minute limit. For my boat I flush both motors and wash boat at the same time. I use two Y adapters and limit water flow to both motor with washers with small hole. This way I have good pressure to wash boat and trailer and both motors still have plenty of water to flush. At the ramp if want to heat up faster just give it a little more speed. Ramps get busy at some time every day but if need a little more time can always come in a little early or late when ramp not so busy.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

To muffle the sound without spending a dime try this - Get a piece of plywood just big enough to cover the exhaust hub and prop shaft. Drill a hole through it to match the diameter of the prop shaft. Remove Prop and put the plywood over the prop shaft and put the prop back on with the prop nut finger tight. If you can't fit the prop nut, mickey mouse something else to use to hold the plywood flush with the exhaust hub. Start engine and - walla -no racket. <br /><br />I don't due this for noise but my mechanic does when he wants to simulate the back pressure when adjusting the idle or whatever. No louder than when in the water.

butlp

Petty Officer 1st Class

You can always use a cut down plastic 55 gal drum or garbage bin full of water. This cuts the noise down quite a bit.

D

DJ

Sniper,<br /><br />Saw something interesting on e-bay. Check out item # 1829968118.

SNIPER

Cadet

djohns-are you ordering one of these? How does it actually work????? Thanks again!

plugger

Petty Officer 3rd Class

could one of you guys look over my post on the same subject (almost)<br />"flush port 115 johnson"<br />HELP.......................

D

DJ

SNIPER,<br /><br />I am NOT ordering the e-bay item. I already have the "flush muffler" coming. I like to hear my engines run where I can get up close and personal and listen for problems-call me anal.<br /><br />I know there are some other folks on this board that know the water flow through various engines better than I do. I'll defer my opinions to them as to whether or not it will do the job.<br /><br />I believe there is some benefit to having the engine up to temp.-it may loosen some deposits. :confused:

dicktaber

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I emailed the guy today, I will order one for my 115 HP Merc. I'll let you know how it works--thanks for the suggestion. I love this place--I can't spend 15 minutes here without learning something! (Unfortunately, I also can't spend 15 minutes without finding something to buy...) Call it a self-control issue...

SNIPER

Cadet

knot2much<br />Please reply once you have the product and give an eval. Thanks! Does anyone else have any knowledge of these engine flushing systems where you do not need to run the engine????