• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Engine flushing options????

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine flushing options????

Are rabbit ears the only way to fresh water flush an engine. I can not run my engine in my development for long since it is not even supposed to be in here. As I understand you must run your motor for at least 20 minutes to get a decent flush. I am told that it takes this long for the motor to heat up enough for the thermostat to open and allow the water to flow through the entire system. Otherwise you are just flushing up to the thermostat. Is there any products or methods to shorten the time necessary to fresh water flush after salt water usage????? Thanks for any help!

Re: Engine flushing options????

Do it at the ramp before you come home. Many motors have a "FLUSH" port that allows you to inject water above the waterpump. Usually just another screw in the leg labled flush.

Comment

If you inject above the pump it still is not getting past the thermostat if it is closed, correct? Unfortunatelly, our ramps are so swamped and hectic that even if there were somewhere to hook up to flush you would get into several battles in order to stay the 20 to 30 minutes necessary.

Comment

Sniper,There is a device on the market that muffles the engine sound for flushing. I've only seen it in the ******** catalog. It attaches to the prop. and is for engine 40 hp. and up. It simulates back pressure and is supposed to make the engine dead quiet.I just ordered one.

Comment

Thanks, that might work if I can find it. Do you know the name of it? I am still curious about the time frame being shortened since the longer I have it in front of my house for cleanup before dropping it at the storage the more chance I will be caught and fined.

Comment

Sniper,It is item # 37646 ($42.99) at www.********.comAbout 10 to 15 minutes. You should be able to feel the top cylinder get warm and see water spray from exhaust relief ports at the top of the exhaust housing.

Comment

is the 20 minutes a guess or a known fact. Mine only takes about 7-10 to warm to 150 degrees and really start peeing. Also, should the engine pee right from the start or wait till it warms up to 150? Mine does not pee until it is warm it only spits mist. It doesnt overheat at all, but sometimes the pee stream is very weak. Should i be concerned??? Maybe change the impeller?? Thanks.

Comment

Ditto on the 10 min time to open the thermo.Are there any fresh water creeks on your way home that you could hang the prop into? I've done that a couple of times. I know of guys who've added their own port like that described earlier so flushing can be done silently. Although I feel the engine running to be the best otherwise the manufacturers would have included this on the motors. After all wouldn't it be great if we didn't have to flush at all like the fresh water boys!!You could try it at a mates house - after all we all take them fishing don't we.....Ross

Comment

My 15 hp Johnson will open thermostat in under 5 min at adel. MY motor does not have a pee hole where water flows all the time so is easy to tell when thermostat opens also water gets hot. I did not see any info on your brand or model. Many new models have a fresh water flush adapter that will flush motor with out the thermostat opening and also do not need to run engine at all. You may be able to adapt one to your engine or if it is a newer model just go and buy adapter. My 140 HP I/O also takes about five minutes to open best way to tell on it is temp guage stops going up at 150 degrees. I can fulsh it with ear muff or a adapter I put on outdrive which is what I use but still need to wait for thermostat to open. Out here most saltwater ramps have a flushing station and a 15 minute limit. For my boat I flush both motors and wash boat at the same time. I use two Y adapters and limit water flow to both motor with washers with small hole. This way I have good pressure to wash boat and trailer and both motors still have plenty of water to flush. At the ramp if want to heat up faster just give it a little more speed. Ramps get busy at some time every day but if need a little more time can always come in a little early or late when ramp not so busy.
                  Have some fun and enjoy the Great Outdoors.
                  Love to fish out of Bodega Bay, California.

Comment

To muffle the sound without spending a dime try this - Get a piece of plywood just big enough to cover the exhaust hub and prop shaft. Drill a hole through it to match the diameter of the prop shaft. Remove Prop and put the plywood over the prop shaft and put the prop back on with the prop nut finger tight. If you can't fit the prop nut, mickey mouse something else to use to hold the plywood flush with the exhaust hub. Start engine and - walla -no racket. I don't due this for noise but my mechanic does when he wants to simulate the back pressure when adjusting the idle or whatever. No louder than when in the water.

Comment

You can always use a cut down plastic 55 gal drum or garbage bin full of water. This cuts the noise down quite a bit.

Comment

Sniper,Saw something interesting on e-bay. Check out item # 1829968118.

Comment

Thanks so far for the helpful ideas guys!

Comment

djohns-are you ordering one of these? How does it actually work????? Thanks again!

Comment

could one of you guys look over my post on the same subject (almost)"flush port 115 johnson"HELP.......................

Comment

Working...
                              X