Not Another Nasty Knot

dheitman62

Cadet
I pulled the rope completely off of the rewind spool and now I can't get the knot tied to put a new rope on the starter. I tried the Service Manual for this motor and still cannot get the thing to stay on the spool.

This is what it says in the manual:

"1. Insert a large size screwdriver into the top of the spool, and then rotate the spool, by count, exactly 16 ? complete turns.
2. Lift the pinion gear to engage the flywheel ring gear.
3. Hold the pinion gear engaged with the ring gear, and at the same time, slide the handles of a pair of pliers under the pinion gear to lock the pinion gear with the ring gear.
4. Feed one end of the new rope through the spool anchor, make a loop, and then thread the end back through the hole in the anchor, but DO NOT pull it tight at this time, leave a loop.
5. Bring the short end of the rope through the loop just formed.
6. Work the short end back through the anchor.
7. Now, pull both ends of the rope tight.
8. Feed the rope through the front engine cowling, and then install the starter rope handle. Hold tension on the rope with the handle and at the same time; remove the pliers from underneath the pinion gear. Allow the starter rope to wind onto the spool. After the rope has been wound onto the spool, the starter handle should be up tight against the cowling. If the handle is not up tight against the cowling the rope was installed too long and needs to be shortened.
"

I tried this many times but still could not get the rope to stay anchored to the starter spool.

If Anybody knows what the "trick" is...I would really appreciate the help

dheitman62

Cadet
Re: Not Another Nasty Knot

Sorry, I forgot: the motor is a 1972 Johnson 6hp Model # 6R72D. Great little Motor !!!