Moeller Engine Paint on Exhaust Cover

yorab

Ensign
Motor in signature. I just bought some Moeller engine paint. The can says:

?Heat and solvent resistant acrylic lacquer is formulated for the extended staying power boat engines need.

?For use on all outboard and inboard engines, stern drive and lower unit applications.

My question is, can this be used on the exhaust cover? Is heat an issue? How hot do the exhaust covers get? Has anybody ever tested one at operating temperature with an infared thermometer? I've sent an email to the company to ask if their paint can indeed be used, but I'd like to hear success/failure stories from real people about using this paint on exhaust covers. Thanks.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Moeller Engine Paint on Exhaust Cover

Your outboard exhaust cover has water on the inside of it at all times the engine is running. While it may get hot to the touch, it should never get hot enough to blister any quality paint. Indeed, it should never reach 212 degrees F.

yorab

Ensign

Okay, I just received a reply from Moeller. They say that it shoud be fine as long as the cover stays below approximately 300 degrees F. Since there is cooling water in there as you pointed out, Frank, I'll try out the Moeller paint on the exhaust cover.

I painted a lower unit with Moeller paint, wasn't real happy with the results, easily water stained etc. It looks like I should have put on a couple of coats of clear to protect it, live and learn.

yorab

Ensign

Yeah, I also picked up some of the clear coat from iboats. I'll be sure to put a few coats over the base coats.