Melted #2 piston on my Mercury 1150

Reg312

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Took my mid 70's Mercury 1150 on my 16' out this weekend. Ran good. Hit some low water (mud) at low speed, trimmed the motor and idled out into deeper water. Water out of pee hole did get a little weak but when I got back in deep water seemed to be peeing same as usual. Ran mid throttle for 15 minutes and then opened it up. 5 minute later lost power and died. Took a few tries but did start. Limped it back to dock but did not sound right and had no power. Pulled plugs and #2 looks melted. I've read special tools and talent required to rebuild these monsters. Soooo, I;m not trying to start a Ford, Chevy, Dodge thing here, but in all reality, what outboard in the 75 - 115 hp range would be the most reliable, easiest/simplest to work on with a good parts source. Budget limited to about a grant because I'll be buying a pontoon next year and would like the 16' ready for the few times we go tubing.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Melted #2 piston on my Mercury 1150

JohnnyRude 70 triple looper.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

No real special tools needed except a flywheel puller--and your Merc may not need that--and a torque wrench. No special skills are needed either, although Merc does like to put bolts in almost inaccessible places, and disassembly can be frustrating. All you really need is a manual and help from the Mercury forum. If you do decide to repair, use a digital camera and take plenty of photos for reference later during assembly.

If you do all the work besides boring the cylinder yourself, you can repair it for no more than 500 bucks, probably closer to 200. If you never did it before, figure about two full weekends of work.

Understand that for less than 1000 the engines in the size range you want will be for the most part, old and dogs. I suspect you would do better repairing your Merc.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

in my area for 1000 bucks your gonna get just about what you have.
yes you really need the tool to remove the flywheel correctly.
the engine lifting ring is nice but if you pick up a used flywheel nut and have a loop welded to it it will work.
yes the ring compressor set is handy but not an absolute. 2 people and patinece will get the pistons back in.
most anypart you need will be avalible here at iboats.

'96 Charger

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree on fixing the old Merc. Those are gorgeous motors. I watched a mechanic buddy rebuild another buddy's powerhead for a 150hp Johnson and there was nothing to it. The one doing all the work had the patience to take all the time he needed to do it right. The ring compressor set was nice to have. Made popping those six pistons with tight fitting rings a breeze. May as well do a full rebuild since you'll be in there already.

Reg312

Petty Officer 2nd Class

WELL - maybe I'll re-think and rebuild this winter. I did a bunch of searches on rebuilding this beast and many, not all, posts recommend to use it as an anchor. I did notice wire sheathing getting brittle and will need replaced. Don't know if there's a kit for that? I have noticed that nuts and bolts in interesting places. Luckily I have welder, grinder, press and extra wrenches and sockets that I can grind and weld to fit.

Reg312

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks folks. I believe I have the talent and most of the tools and heated shop. Probably be stopping by from time to time for advice or tips.