OMC 5.7 V8 Stalls

duffy

Recruit
1989 Rebuilt OMC engine. Starts and runs great, but as soon as you put it into gear to leave slip, it stalls. Also, you can rev past 3000, but can't run under power past 3000. I have had carb rebuilt, new points, new condensor, adjusted idle/mixture/priming, and new fuel filter - still stalling. It also spits and stalls when speeding up or down. I am planning on adding a new fuel pump or coil next. - does that make sense? Any other suggestions? I would really appreciate some help.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: OMC 5.7 V8 Stalls

Accelerator pump and check your floats in the carb too.<br /><br />Bob

duffy

Recruit

Wouldn't the floats in the carb be replaced when they did the rebuild? Or, is this something I should call and check on?<br />Thanks!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Give them a call. If a float is not properly adjusted this will happen. They may or may not have replaced the floats but if the floats are adjusted too high it could cause a flooding situation. If your carb was rebuilt and the accelarater pump was not replaced it will also cause stalling and bogging.<br /><br />Bob

D

DJ

Doesn't this engine package have a "shift interrupter circuit"? The circuit cuts the ignition upon shifting to help the clutch dogs in the L/U engage.<br /><br />Just guessing.

duffy

Recruit

Bob_VT - Mechanic did replace floats, I'll check adjustment - Also, I don't know about the Accelerator Pump - I'll check on that too.<br /><br />djohns19 - Yes, it does have a shift interrupter and a mechanic spread the metal spring open further to make it snap back quicker - this didn't change anything, although maybe this isn't what you should do????

D

DJ

Duffy,<br /><br />I don't know enough about that interupter to say that is the root of your problem. However, it sounds like your ignition is cutting out, or you're losing some cylinders.<br /><br />Easy to check. Put a timing light on the engine and see what happens to the spark when you accelerate. Try it on all cylinders.