1948 Scott-Atwater

coolness

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My Dad purchased a 1948 Scott-Atwater 3.6 hp outboard MANY years ago for $5.00!! We had it running a few years ago and it ran well. I had forgotten about it for quite a few years until I bought a 1962 12' Sea King. :)

I'm at my Dad's house this week in New York State (Finger Lakes) and couldn't wait to look at it. I had no idea what it was let alone how old it really was. What a nice surprise!! I'm taking it back to Virginia and get it checked out. I want to repaint it and try to find decals for it. It should push the Sea King along just fine.

Any idea what the value could be??

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1948 Scott-Atwater

Dad bought this outboard "many" years ago?? You want to know the value?

Priceless

coolness

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So true, JB... Thanks. How fast do you think the S-A will push the Sea King?
(I only weigh 165) :D

Do you know much about the Scott-Atwaters? I have done some research on them. They were quite popular back in the day.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

I don't believe it will plane the boat - 7 or 8 mph tops is my guess.

The going rate at AOMCI swap meets is between $50 and about $150 depending on condition. Garage sale finds $20-$50. I bought a matched pair of 1952 Scotts last spring at an estate sale - $25 for both of them. One was supposed to be a parts motor but complete, the other a runner. Turned out they both ran.

Rustoleum paint matches perfect. Decals are sold at:

http://www.americanoutboard.com/index.html

coolness

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Jim - Thanks for the info. I didn't see the decals I would need for the '48. Any other places to look?

Do your motors run well? I hope I can reach 10 mph....:)

It will be sufficient for those small ponds, etc. Can't wait to get it running and repainted.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

I don't run the Scotts. I have several Johnsons and Evinrudes that I take out every so often and they have been completely gone over and redone.

Call American Outboard Salvage and talk to the lady about your motor. Maybe take a pic of the current decals so she sees what she needs to replace. Actually, my 2 Scotts are '52s, but I restored them with '55 decals. There was only a subtle difference and I don't plan to enter them in a contest anyway.

Also, post a question on the AOMCI board. If anybody knows of decals, I'm sure you'll find them there.

http://www.aomci.org/

(link to "Ask A Member")

Attachments

• scotts.jpg
    scotts.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 0

coolness

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Jim. I will check out the website. The older outboards look cool and sound great. I'll have to post a pic. The decals are either missing or have been painted over on the '48. It's amazing how "up-to-date" the motor looks. It just doesn't look 62 years old!!

By the way, your Scott's look great. Brand new....:eek::eek:

Last edited: