1993 Evinrude 50/35 HP Jet Opinions

PAWasteman

Recruit
Hello,

I am looking to pick up a 1993 Evinrude 50/35 HP Jet outboard. Does anyone have any thoughts on these engines or any information on Evinrude Jets?

Thanks

Waste

steely51

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1993 Evinrude 50/35 HP Jet Opinions

I had a 1972 25 hp evinrude with an outboard jet on it on the right small boat it was adiquate. I also had an 18 ft gregor with an 85 hp chrysler and a pump. All of these that I know of were built in San Leandro California. Jets take so much away that I have decided that unless you absolutley need the shallow draft , stick with a prop and learn your water

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

There is nothing inherently wrong with the motor or pump, both are fine. Just understand that you will lose at least 30% of the rated HP by switching to a pump.

What size and type of hull are you putting it on?

d.boat

Chief Petty Officer

I've been running outboard jets for 10-12 years now. My engines are larger than what you're thinking of, but that's just a matter of degree.

Like someone above said, all outboard jet units, regardless of the make of the engine, and regardless of whether they're installed (and painted) in the factory or after market are made by Outboard Jet

http://www.outboardjets.com/index.php

I need a jet because I often run in very shallow water. My 21 foot, 6 foot wide welded aluminum boat with a 200 hp Johnson will run in about 6 inches of water when it's on step.

But, the horsepower loss is easily 30%, which means slower speeds and/or poorer gas mileage.

Performance has a lot to do with set up and hull design.

If you need a jet, they're great. If you don't, they're a waste of fuel and power.