Building Motor from Scratch?

• Yes

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters

swiz1611

Cadet
I'm getting a 12-15 ft inflatable raft and since I have a lot of spare time I wanted to build a small outboard motor for it so my wife and I can go out on the lake. I know I could just go out and by a cheap little one but I get more satisfaction actually building it plus it sounds like a fun challenge.

I'm actually looking for any type of book that shows step by step on how to build an outboard motor. I'm looking at maybe 6 to 10 HP. I don't care what brand it is either. There has to be something out there that shows somebody how to build one. Sort of like those lego sets you use to get as a child and it gave you a step by step instruction on what you are building. I know this project is way more complicated than a lego set but if only I had a book like that for an outboard motor I can definitely figure it out. If anybody can help me out that would be great. I'll be standing by for responses...

-Justin

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: Building Motor from Scratch?

Man, I am with you all the way on this, sure it is dumb to go to the trouble and expense to build your own motor when you can buy one so easily but when you are done you have a motor you built yourself, anybody can write a check but how many people can make there own motor!?

I built a camper top for mine from a mooring cover and bimini top, it has 4 sides with windows and 2 zipper doors, I made my rod holders, LED light bar,unspillable beer holder(it will hold a full bottle of beverage at a 45 degree angle) ect ect.

I love getting an idea and making it real, it is pretty cool, of coarse being an aluminum tig welder doesn't hurt and I work for a boat company with tons and tons of aluminum I can use.

I hope you get it to work and be sure to get some pics up.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

For starters you need about $1,000,000 in machine tools, a foundry, at least a MS in mechanical engineering (better a Ph.D) and lots of time. . .like several years.

It can be done. My Dad and I built a model airplane size engine in his basement over two summers, but all parts were machined using a Unimat model machine shop. It was one, air cooled cylinder, glo plug ignition, loop charged and not throttleable. . .ran WOT all the time.

What you propose is several hundred times more complex than what we did, and my Dad was a Master Machinist with an undergraduate degree in physics.

KeyWestSkipper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I know I could just go out and by a cheap little one but I get more satisfaction actually building it plus it sounds like a fun challenge.

Even motors that run perfect require regular maintenance to stay that way, all of which can be pretty satisfying if you like to tinker and are mechanically inclined. Wouldn't want to go as far as building one, though, that seems like reinventing the wheel. BTW I do not think you're a moron, it's good to get involved and take on challenges. For me the biggest challenge was one I never anticipated (and I have failed thusfar) which is/was getting my gal up to speed on what to do, how to enjoy boating and how to get her to help out more with the preparation and end of day routine.

swiz1611

Cadet

For starters you need about $1,000,000 in machine tools, a foundry, at least a MS in mechanical engineering (better a Ph.D) and lots of time. . .like several years.

It can be done. My Dad and I built a model airplane size engine in his basement over two summers, but all parts were machined using a Unimat model machine shop. It was one, air cooled cylinder, glo plug ignition, loop charged and not throttleable. . .ran WOT all the time.

What you propose is several hundred times more complex than what we did, and my Dad was a Master Machinist with an undergraduate degree in physics.

It could be too much what I'm doing. I really wasn't looking for building the inner workings of the engine but maybe just thought the motor, frame and parts you could just buy separately and just put it together sort of like what you see on TV when they build those motorcycles but it might be a little more complicated than I thought. Maybe I'll try to buy a small little motor, take it apart and just try to copy it. I saw one website on here that somebody took an motor from their lawnmower, modified it and attached it to there boat. Looked pretty cool to me. Maybe a repair manual is what I'm looking for and just fix an old on. but anways thanks for the input and I look into it a little bit more. thanks

D

DJ

You can piece one together.

Or, you can do what some guys have done. That is, bolt a vertical shaft lawnmower engine on top of an old outboard lower unit. It works but very noisy and lots of vibration.

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I don't know about the Building part, but assembling sure!

I did myself a few 6's for my inflatable.

l_264d6f732e5f4b42b9d76774fec36718.jpg

l_14bb32f11c9f441195f3ea62cfca7eaf.jpg

l_cf7cb58bf5ca4c7dbf5bff392dbfea29.jpg

Its a 1969 powerhead, sitting on a 1973 mid, 1976 lower, and 1977 hood.
Im debating on upgrading to the 77's ignition system.

swiz1611

Cadet

I don't know about the Building part, but assembling sure!

I did myself a few 6's for my inflatable.

Its a 1969 powerhead, sitting on a 1973 mid, 1976 lower, and 1977 hood.
Im debating on upgrading to the 77's ignition system.

That's what I'm talking about...real nice job on that! I would like to assemble one together just like you did. Is there instructional books for that or you have been doing it so long you just know how the parts go together? I think I might have to buy an old one, take it apart to see how it all goes together...how did you start?

D

DJ

That's what I'm talking about...real nice job on that! I would like to assemble one together just like you did. Is there instructional books for that or you have been doing it so long you just know how the parts go together? I think I might have to buy an old one, take it apart to see how it all goes together...how did you start?

I got started out of necessity. Lots of want and no cash. It's called "Scrounging".:D

You can get some ideas of what will work with what by looking over catalogs. See link.

http://epc.brp.com/SiteMods/BRP_Pub...efault.aspx?brands=ej&lang=E&brands=ej&lang=E

swiz1611

Cadet

I got started out of necessity. Lots of want and no cash. It's called "Scrounging".:D

You can get some ideas of what will work with what by looking over catalogs. See link.

http://epc.brp.com/SiteMods/BRP_Pub...efault.aspx?brands=ej&lang=E&brands=ej&lang=E

thanks a lot!!! this catalog was exactly what I was looking for...So under the brand is the HP listing, and then select the appropriate model and that's all the parts you need for that particular model?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It is very satisfying to get and old outboard that hasn't been used for years, take it completely apart, then. . . .

Build it back up as a new outboard.

Best to do this with a small JohnnyRude because both new and used parts are pretty easy to find and original Service Manuals can be found.

In my time I have done this with several JohnnyRudes, a really old Water Witch, an Elgin 5, Scott 5 and a Scott 33. I tried with some others but failed to come up with the required parts.

I never considered those projects as building from scratch, but I was as proud of them as if I had. What I learned doing them would fill several volumes.

swiz1611

Cadet

It is very satisfying to get and old outboard that hasn't been used for years, take it completely apart, then. . . .

Build it back up as a new outboard.

Best to do this with a small JohnnyRude because both new and used parts are pretty easy to find and original Service Manuals can be found.

In my time I have done this with several JohnnyRudes, a really old Water Witch, an Elgin 5, Scott 5 and a Scott 33. I tried with some others but failed to come up with the required parts.

I never considered those projects as building from scratch, but I was as proud of them as if I had. What I learned doing them would fill several volumes.

You're right! I'm going to buy an old broken cheap motor and rebuild it...I think I made my post a little unclear because I think people thought I wanted to actually create my own motor from within. If I would I could just slap my own last name on it like Johnson. But you are right it will be satisfying to make something that is broken work again. Thanks for your reply

Doug N.

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Send us pictures of the "Swiz-Mo" when it's done.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Making an old motor new again is a work of art and a great sense of achievement.
Go for it. I look forward to the before and after photos.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

While you have the same desire as many "tinkerers", you idea is a bit lofty even from a "kit" standpoint since engine "kits" are not available. Besides, individual engine parts are unique to a particular engine designed and built by a particular manufacturer so they are not interchangable. If you have a piston for a 6 HP Johnson, it will fit only a 6 HP Johnson or Evinrude engine block. That block will only bolt onto a lower unit from the same manufacturer and the list goes on with all engine internals, external parts, electrical parts, etc. Just be smart and buy what you need. To give you an idea what you are up against, buy a broken down lawn mower and disassemble the engine. You will quickly learn why you can't do what you want to do.

swiz1611

Cadet

While you have the same desire as many "tinkerers", you idea is a bit lofty even from a "kit" standpoint since engine "kits" are not available. Besides, individual engine parts are unique to a particular engine designed and built by a particular manufacturer so they are not interchangable. If you have a piston for a 6 HP Johnson, it will fit only a 6 HP Johnson or Evinrude engine block. That block will only bolt onto a lower unit from the same manufacturer and the list goes on with all engine internals, external parts, electrical parts, etc. Just be smart and buy what you need. To give you an idea what you are up against, buy a broken down lawn mower and disassemble the engine. You will quickly learn why you can't do what you want to do.

Well I don't want to tinker. I want to build one but I already decided from the previous post that I'm going to buy an old junk one and rebuild it so it'll work again. I'm not going to put different parts on the same motor. I have all the proper parts catalogs I need so now I'm just looking for a motor that matches the parts catalog I have. Plus i'm going to take the entire motor apart, clean, replace any broken or missing parts and piece it back together. They will be parts pertaining to that brand/model of motor. I think it should turn out pretty good. Thanks for the concern but I definitely have all that in mind.