• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old threads or hijack existing threads. Old threads of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old threads should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís thread (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the thread is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old thread.

5. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís thread. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to threads that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any thread that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old thread.

7. Posting at the end of any thread is considered to be hijacking the original posters thread which in turn subjects the thread to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive thread asking you not to reply to old threads. The Red banner will read: Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

using dove,dawn soap to flush out your outboard

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• using dove,dawn soap to flush out your outboard

I know this might sound crazy but has anyone ever flushed out their outboard with either dove or dawn soap?My buddy about 12yrs ago showed me a trick on how he never gets any salt build up in his engine.

He usto take 3to 5drops of soap and put it in the water hose and then run it through the engine,he told me it sanitizes close to 99% of the salt[can't ever get 100% of it out no matter what] and is way cheaper then salt-away $1.29 compared to $30 to $40.I have done this to all my outboards for 12 yrs and have never had a problem at all my question is has anyone ever heard of this or does this themselves?If yes have u had any problems at all just wondering?

My buddy who showed me this is also a guide who learned it off another guide so i was wondering how many people have heard of this.I have small outboards so i just use a plastic garbage pal and fill it up with water and 2drops of dove or dawn i guess it seems to work good as no problems yet.

Ok curious to hear some feedback on this one thanks for any responses.

Re: using dove,dawn soap to flush out your outboard

Used to do it all of the time when flushing the salt out.
    Warm up motor on muffs
    Shut off motor
    Turn off the water, and squirt some detergent down in the hose
    Crank up motor and turn on water
    Run until suds go away
    Please no PMs. My mailbox is full anyway......

Comment

Hey tex whaler did u ever have any problems with the motor at all?I don't know alot of people who actually do this but i hear it talked about alot and i tell some people about it and they think i'm nuts except the marina's because i think most of them know it is just as efective as salt away and $35 cheaper and a bottle of dove soap will last what 10 yrs maybe more.

The way i look at it is it is only going through the coolant system and when u run your boat through water or canals u can only imagine the oil slicks from 2strokes and all the other crap that runs through the water system and if that does not hurt the water pump i think nothing will.

Well i guess it will be up in the air till someone actually can prove it i guess.We do know that soap takes almost eveything off the hands or most of anything it comes in contact with so i think it should do a good job on salt.

Comment

I don't use soap or salt away. Only flush maybe 50% of the time. Motor has 2152 hours. I've had he heads off a couple of time in the past 3 years. No signs of salt build-up. Lots of errosion of the water passages. Can't stop that with a flush
        Grady White 226
        200 Evinrude Ocean Pro
        Evinrude Renegade Offshore Prop

Furuno FCV 587 Sounder
        Garmin 4208 Multifunction Display
        ICOM M504A VHF
        Shakespeare Galaxy 5225-XT Antennas

Comment

The PWC crowd is big on this, or at least the ones I know.
          I was told Dawn has the same chemical makeup as saltaway.

Comment

Originally posted by denlou View Post
            The PWC crowd is big on this, or at least the ones I know.
            I was told Dawn has the same chemical makeup as saltaway.
            The active ingredient in Salt-away is Sulfamic Acid.
            Sulfamic acid is used as an acidic cleaning agent, sometimes pure or as a component of proprietary mixtures, typically for metals and ceramics. It is frequently used for removing rust and limescale, replacing the more volatile and irritating hydrochloric acid. It is often a component of household descaling agents, for example, Lime-A-Way Thick Gel contains up to 8% sulfamic acid and pH 2 - 2.2 [1], or detergents used for removal of limescale. When compared to most of the common strong mineral acids, Sulfamic acid has desirable water descaling properties, low volatility, low toxicity and is a water soluble solid forming soluble calcium and iron-III salts. Its also finds applications in the industrial cleaning of dairy and brew-house equipment. Although it is considered less corrosive than hydrochloric acid due to its lower pKa, corrosion inhibitors are often added to commercial cleansers of which it is a component. It is possible that the amino group could act as a ligand under certain circumstances, as does the chloride ion for Fe-III, when hydrochloric acid is used in rust removal.

Sulfamic acid is used in the S.C. Johnson & Sons, Inc. "Scrubbing Bubbles Fizz-Its Toilet Tablets."
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sulfamic_acid
            Grady White 226
            200 Evinrude Ocean Pro
            Evinrude Renegade Offshore Prop

Furuno FCV 587 Sounder
            Garmin 4208 Multifunction Display
            ICOM M504A VHF
            Shakespeare Galaxy 5225-XT Antennas

Comment

Don't know if it does anything for salt, but I typically use Dawn to lubricate a new water pump impeller when I install it. Won't attack the rubber and keeps it from abrading until water gets in the pump.

Comment

Working...
              X