Oil Mixture for a 1987 90hp Evinrude

Vertigo

Seaman Apprentice
Can someone tell what type of Oil and what the mixture should be for a 1987 90 HP 4 stroke Evinrude?

Thanks,

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Oil Mixture for a 1987 90hp Evinrude

Honestly I would go to my local Evinrude service dealer and ask them to sell me what I need for the oil change. When was the last time you had it serviced?

Vertigo

Seaman Apprentice

Don't know as I just purchased the boat and motor complete.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

There were no 4 stroke Evinrudes in 1987.

2 stroke....50:1 with actual outboard oil (TCW3) in the gas.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

The actual brand of oil doesn't really matter, I have used Speedway branded oil for years, just make sure it says TCW-3 and is OUTBOARD OIL, the oil for chainsaws and weedwhackers is different as they run at alot higher temps.

It works out to 2.7 ozper gallon but I always go 3oz just to have a bit more oil in the engine.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Can someone tell what type of Oil and what the mixture should be for a 1987 90 HP 4 stroke Evinrude?

Thanks,

2 stroke motor and nobody has mentioned yet that it may have the VRO (original) / OMS (replacement) system still hooked up. How many feeds (hoses) go into the motor ??? is there an oil tank mounted somewhere in the boat ?? If the motor has been changed to premix then 50 to 1 is the ratio to mix it. If the VRO / OMS is hooked up then you should verify that it is working correctly by premixing some fuel, marking the oil tank level and monitoring the usage to the amount of fuel burnt. TCW-3 rated oil as said above.
The more info you can provide us with what you have the better and more accurate responses you will get.
Bottom line at this time is to make certain the motor is getting oil through it.

Vertigo

Seaman Apprentice

The former owner had the oil injectors disconnected and now mixes the oil in the tank.