Where can I buy motor cover/hood trim?

notyepcars

Cadet
I have a 1976 Evinrude 135 outboard that I am rebuilding alond with the boat. Where can I purchase a new seal for the motor hood? someone's got to sell this? Thanks

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Where can I buy motor cover/hood trim?

Welcome to iboats!! :D

You can order one from any BRP outboard dealer......

Look carefully at the one you have and see how it is attached..... that is the big headache :(

Yes I have a 1983 V-4 and mine is looking pretty bad too.

notyepcars

Cadet

I gave my local dealer the part number and it is obsolete and not available thru Evinrude. I removed mine several years ago as I am completely restoring my boat and motor, I have no idea what the old one looked like. Thanks

Bob_VT

Staff member

0207599 SEAL,Motor cover is no longer available (NLA) :(

BUT I would look at a newer V-4 and I will almost swear the seals are the same shape and material...... look at http://shop.evinrude.com/ and the seals are about $41 and change...... look at a motor about 10 years newer then your's.

Maybe you can visit a marina and ask to see the motor cover on newer V-4's

When parts are NLA we are forced to improvise........ that seal dries out and falls apart so even if you found a used one (from an old motor) I doubt it would hold up.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

I used a length of fuel hose on my '80 Johnson Stinger. I slit it down one side and ran a bead of rubber adhesive inside it. I then worked it over the lip on the cowling. It's been on their for going on 10 years and it still looks great! Cost me less than $10.00.

Attachments

• JohnsonStingerCowl2464.jpg
    JohnsonStingerCowl2464.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 0

Bob_VT

Staff member

WOW great idea for a cheap effective fix!

notyepcars

Cadet

Thanks for the options. I did look at a late 70's model onm shopevinrude.com and it looks like the hood is similar in shape. The models without power trim are available, the ones with are not. I can't figure out why there is difference in the motor cover seal whether it is power trim or not. The shape if the hood changes in the 80's and unsure if the seal with be long enough. Anyone know what the difference in the non-power tilt/power tilt seal would be?? Thanks

D

DJ

I used a length of fuel hose on my '80 Johnson Stinger. I slit it down one side and ran a bead of rubber adhesive inside it. I then worked it over the lip on the cowling. It's been on their for going on 10 years and it still looks great! Cost me less than $10.00.

I second that idea. I've done it myself and it works well.

At this point, your only gamble would be $10.00

I will tell you that the OEM seals are NOT easy to replace. Most were stapled on.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

boat junk yards. you may have to buy the whole cover, used.
Try Budget Boats in Chesapeake VA.