how often do you change your impeller?

Boatist

Rear Admiral
Re: how often do you change your impeller?

I have changed my OMC Stringer water pump impeller 2 times since new in 1980. Each time the impeller look great. The first time the houseing the impeller runs in was pretty bad, most likely from salt water use at ramps that did not have a wash station. Second time every thing looked great but there to replace the spline short shaft so just made since to change it.

My 1975 15 HP Johnson Outboard has also been repalced twice since new in 1975.
Again the first time it needed it and the aluminum houseing was bad. I replaced with the stainless steel housing. Second time I was in there because I was changing motor from a short 15 inch shaft to a long 20 inch shaft. When your in there just makes since to change water pump and shaft seals. Second time I changed if I had not marked it with a red majic marker I would not have been able to tell the difference.

I never turn over either motor with out water.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Rule of thumb is every 2 years for a high pressure pump.
Every 3 years for a high volume pump.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

200 hours a year. Gets changed every other year or when I see a drop in a drop in pressure

skargo

Banned

I just changed mine in the boat I bought last year. The PO was a great mechanic, except he changed the impeller 10 years ago I just found out. Good thing I changed it.

23456_10150163625795652_554955651_11527435_5325318_n.jpg

stubbsboogie

Chief Petty Officer

Follow the interval for your engine. MIne is every other year.
If there is a question go ahead and change it so that you have the peace of mind. Really cheap insurance.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

I run inboards with engine mounted impellers (Merc 7.4L). I change min every 100 hours. I started to notice that when I take the old ones out, they look just fine. However, you can rip off the vanes easily by hand. I guess that means that although they look OK, doesn't mean they are OK.

I always have the spares onboard...JIC

AguaSki

Chief Petty Officer

I do mine every two years. Since time goes by so fast, it is difficult for me to remember if one or two years have elapsed. To get around this I started changing the impeller on odd numbered years. So, I last changed my impeller in 2009, and will need to do it again in 2011. This system seems to work for me.

Someone also mentioned the shift rod connection on OMC v4's being a PITA. When I first started changing my impeller I agreed with this observation, but I have since learned a little piece of duct tape stuffed inside a socket, and a 1/4 extension works really well. Now I can disconnect and re-attach the shift rod in a few seconds. My first impeller job took the better part of a Saturday morning. Now I can do the job in under an hour, and most of that time is spent getting tools out and putting them away.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I have a document that I created on my computer that lists the name and part number of anything I replace on my boat. Alongside this, I note the date it was last replaced.

My impeller gets replaced every 2 years regardless of hours.

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I do mine every two years. Since time goes by so fast, it is difficult for me to remember if one or two years have elapsed. To get around this I started changing the impeller on odd numbered years. So, I last changed my impeller in 2009, and will need to do it again in 2011. This system seems to work for me.

Someone also mentioned the shift rod connection on OMC v4's being a PITA. When I first started changing my impeller I agreed with this observation, but I have since learned a little piece of duct tape stuffed inside a socket, and a 1/4 extension works really well. Now I can disconnect and re-attach the shift rod in a few seconds. My first impeller job took the better part of a Saturday morning. Now I can do the job in under an hour, and most of that time is spent getting tools out and putting them away.
good idea about the duct tape ,will have to file that one away for future use.been about 7 years since i did nine on the 90 but i check every year and every year its still pliable and like new .one of my other motors hasnt had a impeller change for 71 years!evinrude used a metal impeller back then,lol.wonder why they got away from that ?cost ?if i dont know the history of a outboard i change the impeller as a matter of course.7 plus motors and never stranded ,knock on wood (head).lol!

Fishing56

Seaman

OK, I was worried about my lack of maintenance on my boat. Guess I was lucky. Someone told me I was "Boating on borrowed time". I have a 4.3Lx 1996 model. Here is the impeller and houseing that I took apart that is about 14 years old. The old impeller shows no sign of scarring, wear and is still as flexible as the new impeller I installed.

I am in no way suggesting that anyone avoid doing regular mantaince or service intervals. Just showing my results.

Boat is always garaged, no saltwater, sand or much mud. Oh, by the way it has been started numerous times without muffs for 20-30 seconds to make sure it was going to start at lake.

Just dont try this yourself!

Fishing56

Attachments

• HPIM2661.JPG
    HPIM2661.JPG
    127.7 KB · Views: 0
  • HPIM2664.JPG
    HPIM2664.JPG
    130 KB · Views: 0
  • HPIM2668.JPG
    HPIM2668.JPG
    123.9 KB · Views: 0
  • HPIM2671.JPG
    HPIM2671.JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 0

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The old impeller shows no sign of scarring, wear and is still as flexible as the new impeller I installed.
Sorry, that old impeller looks BAD! Quite a set in those blades!

Oh, by the way it has been started numerous times without muffs for 20-30 seconds to make sure it was going to start at lake..
That could also be why they are so bent...they got hot.

Fishing56

Seaman

[

QUOTE=bruceb58;2567284]Sorry, that old impeller looks BAD! Quite a set in those blades!

That could also be why they are so bent...they got hot.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, wasn't trying to make any type of point other than point out that my impeller looked much better than the 10 year old impeller in the original post. Plus motor always maintained a normal temp or 165-170, even this year before impeller replacement.

Also makes me think someone needs to start a thread on I/O motor alignment. Don't they recommend every year? Ask me about that.

Fishing56

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Let me guess, you haven't checked your alignment in 14 years either and your coupler is still ok.

Fishing56

Seaman

Let me guess, you haven't checked your alignment in 14 years either and your coupler is still ok.

Well, under advice from all you good guys here, I pulled entire unit. Bellows and coupler and alignment was good (although I was pissed that local Merc dealer wouldn't sell or rent an alignment tool). But now I can boat with peace of mind.

Like I said, I am not trying to give adivice, just relay my experience.

Fishing56

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Please tell me you changed your bellows after 14 years.

Now I am really wonderring...how often do you change your oil?

StevenT

Petty Officer 1st Class

I wait till the temp gauge reads max and the oil pressure gauge says 0. I replace the engine and impeller at the same time. :)

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer

must be nice to have money,stevenT. I guess your saying when it overheats you replace it.