OMC Saildrive Zephyr ignition problems (charge coil?)

struyffamily

Recruit
I have a 2 cyl 2 stroke 15HP inboard OMC engine (OMC Sail Drive Zephyr)with ignition problems. It's on our O'Day 25 (1978) and the model is 15S10S.<br /><br />I measure merely 80V AC output doing the Charge Coil Output test(should be > 230V).<br />I replaced with a new charge coil, but... result is still the same...!<br />The charge coil resistance is 470 Ohm as per specs. Sensor coil is OK according to all three tests, 42 Ohms, no leak to ground,<br />0.55V AC output.<br /><br />What could the problem be? Does someone know this model? Is it the power pack?<br /><br />Thanks

petryshyn

Commander
Re: OMC Saildrive Zephyr ignition problems (charge coil?)

Don't know your model, but are you using a peak reading meter or peak reading adapter when doing the test?

ICEMAN

Petty Officer 1st Class

HI, Struyffamily, You did not mention what kind of problem you are having, No start, rough running, mis-firing? When you tested the charge coil, was it still connected in the circuit? Do you have a manual? Is the motor cranking over fast enough, If the flywheel is not cranking fast enough, it will not generate the required voltage. try removing the spark plugs, while testing, This will drop the compression and it should spin a lot faster. If it does not spin faster, let us know. Message toSCHEMATIC,This engine has a standard CD2 ignition system, it basically looks like a 30 hp outboard powerhead, (although it is different) that's mounted to a lower unit, thru a special adapter plate, that passes thru the hull of a sailboat. The OMC Saildrive 15S10 is a 1977. They were made from 1977 to 1984. The charging system, is different where it uses an external alternator that is mounted on a bracket toward the front of the motor and it is belt driven off the flywheel. The exhaust system has a manifold that goes up above the flywheel and which is then hosed to a water trap then a muffler and out the transom.

petryshyn

Commander

thanks Iceman.<br />We don't get much for sail boats around here. My experience with them is nil.<br /><br /> :)

struyffamily

Recruit

The problem is: no start, negative spark test... And yes, we have the manuals, I even scanned 2 sections in PDF (1MB & 6MB!): http://www.geocities.com/bstruyf2000/scheme.pdf http://www.geocities.com/bstruyf2000/ignition.pdf <br />Hard to tell if the flywheel is cranking fast enough, we're using a full battery and tested the (disconnected) output (before it goes to the power pack). How can we test this? Thanks for your tips!!<br /> :rolleyes:

petryshyn

Commander

Hi<br />your schematic pages don't show up?<br />Good resume though!<br /><br />Are you using a peak reading meter or peak reading adapter when measuring the charge coil test?

petryshyn

Commander

HI<br /><br />I think we better start from the beginning.<br /><br />Did you disconnect the yellow/black kill wire from the pack and retry for spark?<br />(can't use a rms meter with these tests. must use a peak to peak meter or a peak reading adapter along with a digital multi meter with an impedence no lower than 10megohm)

flagrange

Recruit

Hi,<br /><br />Sorry for jumping in; I'm 'Struyffamily's friend and the guy that actually attempted the repairs. I'm not a pro in this matter (but 'someone has to do it' ;-)<br />Your hints clearly pinpoint the problem !<br />I did the measurements with everything disconnected; that is, directly on the 4-wire connector on the coil-assembly, as per the Service Manual. The only thing is, I measured this with a regular analog volt meter, but without the DVA voltage adapter. <br /><br />At this point, but you can confirm, I'm nearly sure the problem is in the reading (80V, because of no DVA adapter). And this leads us to a defective power pack. <br />Having already cleaned and checked all wiring and contacts, I think we could fairly confidently replace the power pack at once, without even bothering to buy a DVA adapter and doing this measurement again. <br /><br />Your thoughts?<br /><br />Again, your replies and help are very appreciated. <br /><br />Francois

almost retired again

Chief Petty Officer

Hi Struffamily, I would do what schematis suggested; remove the black/yellow wire out of the plug that goes to the power pack and test for spark again would sure beat buying a new pack. It could be the key switch, or cables that run to it.<br /> Just my two cants worth

petryshyn

Commander

almost retired again,<br />your comments are always welcome and worth way more than 2 cents!<br /><br />flagrange<br />the black/yellow wire is the kill wire for the ignition. To stop the engine, this wire gets grounded. If you still have no spark when this wire is disconnected:<br /><br />>then check for loose or corroded ground connections<br />>pull all plugs apart and look for pins pushed back in their boots<br />>check for good coil grounds<br />>check charge coil for voltage<br />>check trigger coil for voltage<br />>if everything till now is good.....suspect the pack <br /><br />I think there is a section in Murphy's Law that states.....if you miss one test in CDI troubleshooting, you'll replace the pack for nothing!!!<br /><br /><br />By the way....thanks for the nice schematic! I had no literature on sail drives....til now....<br /> :D

flagrange

Recruit

Hi,<br />It seems everything confirms my measurement error, that is with that peak voltage 'add-on'. Besides, I did already all the other tests, and did them carefully, as well as clean up all contacts, and ensure there could be no leaks (or no obvious one, that is :p <br />So, reading your comment, I thought I coudl go ahead and order another power pack; as this is really where we can track the problem down to.<br /><br /><br />
if you miss one test in CDI troubleshooting, you'll replace the pack for nothing!!!<br />
<br />The coil/stator assembly, actually. :eek: <br />And that seems to be much more than the power pack... ($250 vs. $80).<br /><br />I'll keep you posted ! (But it will not be before next weekend in any case).<br />Again, thank you for pointing us towards a solution.<br />F>

flagrange

Recruit

By the way, I did the key switch test as well. Actually I did all the tests suggested in the service manual... but used the tools I had because I thought I wouldn't be able to find them any more. <br />That, actually, turns out to be blatantly wrong: spare parts are still easily available, and I saw those tools can be found eg. at CDI Electronics.<br />F>

ICEMAN

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Flagrange, If you still have a problem, let me know, I'm only 20 minutes away in CT.