15hp evinrude e-tec!!!!

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant
Re: 15hp evinrude e-tec!!!!

I wonder how much it will weigh?

Also, it would seem that this will require a battery and electric starter....not portable.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

Ok. Loooking at the specs for the current 25HP model this 15HP will probably be based off of that platform.

25HP = 35.3 CID
15HP = 35.3 CID

25HP 15" w/rope start only and manual tilt = 146 lb
15HP = hopefully less.

coolguy147

Commander

hahaha. if it is based off the 25-30hp models im going to say it will weigh just about the same.

ChrisAG

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's a 15 HO, not a "regular" 15 (which does not exist yet in E-tec form), which is why they can sort of get away with the gargantuan weight... this motor is not designed for a lightweight 14 ft aluminum utility boat, more like for a heavier-duty aluminum or as a kicker on a larger fishing boat. It comes with a 4-blade prop for high torque in fwd and reverse.

I saw it at the Toronto boat show, and asked if a 9.9 might be in the works: "No, it is too costly to make an E-tec of that size."

I don't think a "regular" 15hp of this weight would find a market, but this HO might.

Kobie

Cadet

There's a big discussion on this over at scream&fly, and one guy seems to be really close to evinrude so he has the scoop. He basically said that the 15HO is a detuned 25, and is the replacement for the 25/30 since the plant for them in China shut down. Other than the new throttle system, it would be better to buy a 25/30 and put the new 15HO stickers on it.

SeaNymph Man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's a 15 HO, not a "regular" 15 (which does not exist yet in E-tec form), which is why they can sort of get away with the gargantuan weight... this motor is not designed for a lightweight 14 ft aluminum utility boat, more like for a heavier-duty aluminum or as a kicker on a larger fishing boat. It comes with a 4-blade prop for high torque in fwd and reverse.

I saw it at the Toronto boat show, and asked if a 9.9 might be in the works: "No, it is too costly to make an E-tec of that size."

I don't think a "regular" 15hp of this weight would find a market, but this HO might.

Well,I guess I will be sticking with my plans to go with a four stroke motor!
Just when I thought my prayers of seeing a 15 HP E-TEC come out,they had
to make it too heavy to work on that 2010 Lund A-14 I am hoping to purchase by this spring,...damn! Looks I am going with a Honda or Tohatsu
now.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I don't even understand a 35cu in 15 hp.Other than its probably just a tuning issue
and can use existing assembly parts and procedures.I'd rather see them drop the big 40 and tune up the 35cu in to a 40 hp. a 35 cu in 15 makes about as much sense as a 52cu in 40.If you can get 60 out of 52 cubes you can get 40 out of 35.
As far as the Lund why not go for their bigger base 14 (CW14)? unless you have some sort of storage or transportation problem the CW will plane better both empty and loaded and you could get either the 25 or 30 etec.The CW is deeper,wider and longer and available with a 20" transom.

sprintst

Commander

I'm lookingh for something for a kicker on my 18.5 Starcraft alum. I'm wondering if weight is going to be an issue or if I'm good with it.

coolguy147

Commander

in my opion i would really not be concernced about weight. 18.5 foot boat is going to need more horsepower then a 15hp engine.

general rule is 70% of max rated horspower is ok satifisfaction.

weight is still important though

for example not pertaing to your boat. if a boat was rated for 100hp max then 70hp would be generally good for that particular boat. other things come in the consideration. how many people you want on the boat and speed then maybe weight.

then choosing the your motor depends on dealers nearby if purchasing a relatively new motor to be serviced by the dealer. older motors if you wish to do your own work.

sprintst

Commander

This one will just be for trolling, etc. I've still got my 140HP inboard to get around.

reelfishin

Captain

The way I look at it, if your going to hang a motor of that much weight, why not just go with more power?
When the 25hp was first announced, I ordered one, it never materialized, the dealer told me that they were limited in numbers and it might take a while. That was fine back when I ordere it, but a year later I got tired of waiting and bought a Yamaha 25hp. I'm glad I did as the Yamaha is 83 lbs lighter. There was no way my aluminum boat, rated at 25hp would have worked with a nearly 200lb motor. Not to mention the Yamaha was a lot cheaper. Both were two strokes, and I know I am not really comparing equal motors but I'm not sure how many boats made that would require 25hp for primary power could handle that sort of weight. Along the same thoughts, if I had a larger boat and wanted a kicker motor, and the 15 and 25hp were similar in weight, I'd certainly go with the 25hp.
I ran into a similar situation with a new Mercury 9.9 Four stroke, which was bought for a short transom 14' aluminum boat. The problem I ran into was that the clamp depth on the Mercury 9.9 4 Stroke was deeper than the depth of the splashwell, meaning that the motor had to be shimmed up in order to be able to tighten the clamps. This puts the prop too high. I guess they built those only for boats without splashwells, or at least not for a MirroCraft. I ended up finding an older 9.9hp Johnson and running that.

Sometimes I wonder what they are thinking when they put out some of these new motor combos. I guess they don't figure on them being used on an older boat?

ChrisAG

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The way I look at it, if your going to hang a motor of that much weight, why not just go with more power?

I think the 15 HO is specifically meant for serious anglers, and there may be some rule in tournaments that says kickers must not exceed 15hp, and if so this motor would give them an edge in some circumstances, but don't quote me on that - I may be completely wrong.

reelfishin

Captain

I would think that the edge would go to the lighter motor putting out the same horse power?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

The short shaft manual start etec 25/30 is 146 lbs that would make the
Yamaha weigh in at 63lbs To the best of my knowlrdge there has never been
that light of a 25. Even the the 22 cube Evinrude was something like 77 lbs and thought of as very light.Yes a L. shaft, electric start Etec with power tilt and trim is something like 180 lbs but so would the Yamaha.

reelfishin

Captain

My Yamaha 25hp 2 stroke weighs in at 108.2lbs on a shipping scale. It's a short shaft, electric start. Power tilt was not an option. I had considered a 4 stroke but the closest rating to what I wanted was a 20hp 4 stroke that weighed in at 32 more pounds. But the 4 stroke had power tilt which I didn't care to have.
The E-tec is rated at 183lbs, but I weighed one at 197.6 lbs. I'm glad that I didn't wait, there's no way my boat would take that kind of weight, the 108 lbs of the Yamaha is pushing the limits by itself, with my 300lbs plus the 108 lb motor, battery, and fuel tank I had to move the tank up about 5' and the battery to the middle seat area.

It sounds to me like they're opening the door for the 15hp to be a compliance motor, basically a tuned down 25hp that can be run where your restricted to 15hp max. Here we have a 10hp max in one lake, it's common to see rebadged 15hp motors as 9.9hp. I'm sure they're shooting for capitalizing on just that market. Buy the 15hp, then tune it up for a fee to 25hp, and still get to run on regulated waters.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I assume the Yamaha is a carbed 2 stroke.There are not many long electrics that can match that weight carbed or not.Your right a Etec long shaft elec. w trim and tilt is 183 probably dry weight.Don't know where 193 comes from unless it has a huge on board oil tank.There isn't anything heavier than 183 listed.
Imagine; the 58 Evinrude V4 50 was 205 lbs.

reelfishin

Captain

I assume the Yamaha is a carbed 2 stroke.There are not many long electrics that can match that weight carbed or not.Your right a Etec long shaft elec. w trim and tilt is 183 probably dry weight.Don't know where 193 comes from unless it has a huge on board oil tank.There isn't anything heavier than 183 listed.
Imagine; the 58 Evinrude V4 50 was 205 lbs.

When we weighed the 25hp Etec it was on a meat hook type scale used for bulk shipping weights, I probably wouldn't swear to it's accuracy but either way, 183 or 19? is too heavy for a 25hp motor. Your getting into 3 and 4 cylinder territory weight wise there.

If this is the trend, those of us with older boats best hang onto every older 2 stroke we find if we intend to keep boating for years to come.
I'm not knocking Evinrude or the Etec series, but it don't make much sense to me to build a smaller motor if it can't be done in a lighter package.
For me, It'll be a long time before I part with my old school Evinrude two strokes.
When I bought my Yamaha, it was the only option, both for price and weight. There was no power tilt option and that wasn't an issue. It is electric start but the weight gain for that was minimal. I was out to find a 25hp motor which gave me the most bang for my buck and one that wouldn't sink my boat. There was still a few Tohatsu motors around yet then but price wise the Yamaha was my best bet and it seemed to make better power. (I tried both on my boat, the Yamaha felt far stronger all around and was a few pounds lighter).