• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

What is the best way to ship a boat motor

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best way to ship a boat motor

I purchased a 78 johnson 35 hp short shaft engine on ebay. I am responsible for picking up the engine as he offered local pickup only. I am trying to use uship.com which he recommended, but I'm getting quotes of 200-250 dollars. When I look on ebay at simular auctions that offer shipping, the charge is 100-150 dollars. The motor is in Denver Indiana and is coming to me in Topeka KS. Thats 624 miles. I listed it on u ship as frieght and on a pallet so maybe I'm not doing something correct. Can ups or fed ex really not ship over 100 pounds? thats what the guy told me. Just some advice how I could go about this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Re: What is the best way to ship a boat motor

If you really want it in one piece, bite the bullet and go get it...only about $70 for gas if you figure $2.75 per gallon. UPS and FedEx will charge you more than the Uship rate for more than 70 pounds, but they won't treat it nicely. Even strapped to a pallet, it can be handled roughly and abused...trying to collect on a claim is a bigger pain than making the road trip...been there, got the T-shirt.

Comment

I have handled dozens of motors and have had my share of problems along the way. The ONLY way to ship a motor that heavy is to build a wooden crate and attach the motor's clamp handles to a crossbar before the top of the crate is sealed off. That's the ONLY way you'll receive it undamaged.

An alternate is to strap it to a pallet and shrinkwrap it.

Either way will require freight shipment, plus you have to have someone at the shipping end to handle it for you.

If it were me I'd take 2 days off and drive to pick it up. Overall, it'll be cheaper anyway. UPS and others have literally destroyed several motors for me and they don't honor insurance claims.
      2009 Starcraft 14' FLSS & Yamaha 25
      2005 SeaDoo GTX 4-Tec 155
      1984 Stingray SVB190SS & Mercruiser 3.0 Liter 140
      1964 Sea Nymph 14R & 1970 Evinrude Sportwin 9.5
      1960 Mulray 100 Dinghy, equipped with Beaver Oars
      1952 Lyman 15' Mid Steer & Evinrude Big Twin 25
      63 Outboards: 1919-2008, representing 11 manufacturers
      -------------------------------------------------------------------
      Member ACBS, LBOA, AOMCI

Comment

your mistake, if the seller will not palletize, you will have to pay for someone to do it. UPS FREIGHT will ship it.

i buy and sell motors and palletize them. have no problems with shipping. i use Freight Center.com for shipping.
        FLORIDA GATORS
        TEBOW Country

Please, NO PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems. they will not be answered.
        That is what these forums are for. Post your questions, in the appropriate Forum.

Comment

couldn't you just put it in a big box with some padding? I know this guy isnt going to do that. And I guess maybe it would cost the same. I dont really have the time or energy to go get it. So I'll have it shipped. Im just trying to find the most cost effective way.

Why am I getting quotes at 200-250 when most ebay auctions offer 100-150 shipping?

Comment

Originally posted by pabloescobedo96 View Post
            couldn't you just put it in a big box with some padding? I know this guy isnt going to do that. And I guess maybe it would cost the same. I dont really have the time or energy to go get it. So I'll have it shipped. Im just trying to find the most cost effective way.

Why am I getting quotes at 200-250 when most ebay auctions offer 100-150 shipping?
            For a 5 hp motor a cardboard box and padding is a 50/50 proposition. For UPS that constitutes improper packing and it is their goal in life to destroy their deliveries, especially if they are too heavy to carry (in their opinion).

For a 35, I guarantee when you get it there will be parts protruding from the cardboard and what's left in side will have parts broken off.

Ebay prices quoted usually mean that the seller will package it and deliver it to the shipping point. Your prices are higher becaue it includes pickup and packaging.

I never buy a motor "pickup only" unless its local. That just means that the seller has no interest in seeing that it will be shipped properly.

I'm not trying to be negative....its just that I've been there...done that and have not been happy.
            Member ACBS, LBOA, AOMCI

Comment

Originally posted by tashasdaddy View Post
              your mistake, if the seller will not palletize, you will have to pay for someone to do it. UPS FREIGHT will ship it.

i buy and sell motors and palletize them. have no problems with shipping. i use Freight Center.com for shipping.
              I realized it was pickup only, when I purchased it. I'm ok with that. I got the motor I wanted. I went to freightcenter.com and it gave me a ups freight cost of $165.00 that sounds pretty good compared to what I've seen so far.

So can can I just call ups and send someone to pick it up? I know that is a question for ups but since im already on the subject im sure someone knows the answer. And what is the best way to palletize. straps or platic wrap or both or what?

Comment

You will need the seller to put it on a pallet and secure and wrap it very well.
                UPS will not package it when they pick it up.
                sigpic

1981 ChrisCraft 210 Scorpion K,175 Johnson SeaHorse

Comment

Originally posted by pabloescobedo96 View Post

most likely because in the auctions offering shipping, the seller is packing it, or palleting it prior to shipping.... and ship regularly (may even get shippign discounts because they ship 2-3 skids a day)

In your case, you're paying somebody to go there, act on your behalf, lift it, load it, secure it, strap it, shrink it, then ship it... you're asking them to do a lot of extras that teh seller won't do... The actual cost of the shipping is probably only $100-$150.... it's the extra service you're paying for, nobody is gonna do it for free
                  sigpic
                  1999 Princecraft 166 Pro
                  1998 Evinrude 70hp
                  2003 GMC Envoy 4.2L 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by Gary H NC View Post
                    You will need the seller to put it on a pallet and secure and wrap it very well.
                    UPS will not package it when they pick it up.
                    He said he would put it on a pallet he didnt say anything about strapping or anything though.

Comment

Make sure it is INSURED for replacement value!!
                      This is a great link to boat specifications http://boatspecs.iboats.com/
                      Please, shop iboats first!!

Comment

Devil's advocate again...even insured for replacement value, if they tear it up, they decide whether they will pay the claim. I've always had to eat the cost of the damage caused by the freight tossers...must be kin to the ape in the old Samsonite commercials. I did, however, once ship three motors from Tejas to New Yawk and across the big water to Malta. Went and bought several sheets of polystyrene insulation in big sheets at the big box store. Laid each motor on a sheet and drew a rectangle around it, then centered the motor on the rectangle and anchored with zip ties and wire through the styrene. Then I used the rest of the styrene, cut in various shapes to build a box tightly around the motor. Then I taped the box ridiculously so it was sealed, then took cardboard wardrobe boxes, cut them open and wrapped a cardboard layer around the styrene box, followed by more tape and straps. The largest was a 57 OMC Fastwin, the smallest was a late 40's Evinrude Sportsman. Shipped them to the buyer's overseas freight agent in NY, they went in a shipping container and went to Malta. All arrived intact...I had to ship the powerhead of the Fastwin in a separate box. If you get to Malta, check out the Classic Car Museum there and see if they sustained any dents....probably not cause I sweated alot to get them there in one piece. Unless the guy who sold you that motor is likewise inclined, I'd do a winter road trip and pick it up.

Comment

....in addition to boats, I restore antique tractors and farm machinery. A lot of us use the hauling services of like-minded folks, especially in the central U.S..
                          Try the link below and see if you fit in.

FWIW....Ed in 'ol Virginny
                          Eddie Petty. #3 Dirt Modified
                          Courtland, Virginia
                          V-20 Wellcraft
                          3.7 470 Mercruiser

Stumpnocker
                          25 Yamaha, 25 Johnson, 25 Evinrude, 9.9 Evinrude, 4 Johnson, 2.5 Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Bob_VT View Post
                            Make sure it is INSURED for replacement value!!
                            UPS is now self insured...they have no insurance carrier. If a package is damaged their std. answer was that it was not properly packaged and they deny the claim.
                            Member ACBS, LBOA, AOMCI

Comment

It is only 630 miles.
                              Two people could do that in 24 hour road trip. Know someone unemployed with a mini pickup or mini van? Hire them to go get it.
                              Or even someone that would do it on a weekend.
                              Fuel, expenses plus something would equal your $250 quotes.
                              But you could rest easy that it wont be at the mercy of UPS, FED EX.

Comment

Working...
                              X