Honda 4-stroke motors - Good or Bad?

trendsetter240

Lieutenant
I'm in the market for a trolling/kicker motor for my 17ft boat. I've come across a 1997 honda outboard 9.9 hp 4stroke that is in good condition and is in my price range.

I've never owned a honda outboard and I was hoping to get some feedback.

Are these good motors? Anything wrong with motors from this year? Any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Whoopbass

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Honda 4-stroke motors - Good or Bad?

Their suppose to be one of the best motors made and priced like it.
I had a early to mid 80's 9.9 for a short while and it ran fine. It came on an inflatable I bought and I didn't need the motor so I sold it. I saw a pic of a 90's Honda 9.9 on ebay once (one of the nice silver Honda's) and under the cowl it looked identical to my red Honda 9.9 so I think they are pretty much the same design as their older motors.
Everything made by Honda is good but if you ever need parts your gonna pay.

jevery

Chief Petty Officer

I remember when I bought my Honda lawnmower the salesman said, "Yep, these are designed to last twenty years." I thought, "That's BS," But I wanted the mower and bought it. That was 23 years ago and she shows no signs of dying anytime soon.

coolguy147

Commander

i believe every motor is good until it goes bad

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Honda is one of the world leaders in building quality, reliable power plants of any kind.

I find their outboards priced at the top of the range for whatever size you want, but if you get a good price and get an on the water demo, go for it.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

All I can say is, a buddy of mine has a Honda 40hp 4 stroke and he really likes it. I've always heard they're supposed to be good motors...

nimrod69

Seaman

Honda sure has alot of followers. I cant say that I agree. Had twin 4-stroke 50's, both had major problems. Lower unit failures,timing belts break, paint coming off lower unit, etc.
I prefer the good old OMC 2-strokes.

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

I have a mid-80's BF100 I use as a kicker.

Only issue I have ever had is when I didn't hook the fuel line up properly.

It replaced a perfectly fine Johnson 9.9. The weight is only a little more and it is much nicer trolling without the blue smoke and the extra noise.

I think I've had it 4 years now.

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

Thanks all for your replies. Seems like the majority opinion is that they are good, reliable motors. I'll be checking it out this weekend if weather permits.

Cheers!

Old Browny

Recruit

Hi all I dont know much at all re Honda Outboards but the lawn mower engines were absolute tops for reliabillity I sold a lot tolocal council and they traded them back in after 2 years hard work with nothing going wrong and then re-sold them without toching the motors . Absolute top performers Old Browny

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Given the overall reputation that Honda has, combined with the generally favorable view of their outboards, I'd say its a good motor. That said, whenever you are dealing with a used motor, its all in the care that the motor has had, since purchase. If the one your are looking at has been well maintained, not abused, etc., its probably a good motor to consider.

???