Repair of broken fin of lower unit

Pannet

Seaman Apprentice
I have asked some technician regarding the repair of a lower unit's broken fin. Their answers are not clear. Anyone who know the right method please answer.<br /><br />1. Is it better to detach the lower unit from the engine before welding ? <br />2. Is it better to remove all seals and gears from the gear housing ?<br />3. Do we need to replace gear seals ?<br />4. Do we have to do anything to the water pump ?<br /><br />Thank you

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Repair of broken fin of lower unit

Hello, Pannet.<br /><br />Is it the vertical fin or a horizontal fin that is broken?<br /><br />If it is the vertical fin (called "skeg") it can be repaired by installing a stainless steel sleeve called a "SkegGard". SkegGards are available from Cabelas online.<br /><br />The horizontal fin can be welded if the weld is not too close to the gearcase (should be over 1" from gearcase) without dismantling. Wrap the gearcase with wet cloths and keep them wet while welding.<br /><br />If the weld must be close to the gearcase, dismantle it and remove the seals first.<br /><br />Good Luck!<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

Trent

Captain

Take it to a prop shop they weld them everyday.

mbb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Take it to a prop shop. They will tilt it up, fill the exhaust around the shaft with water, and weld a new skeg on. The water will prevent the seals from getting overheated. I welded the lower 3" on to mine and reshaped with grinder without doing this. It really doesnt get that hot that far away from the bullet, no hotter than sitting in the sun on a hot summer day.