Please Help:Frozen Steering Cable

Chase

Recruit
Trying to change steering cable for 1st time to replace. I have the nuts off and the cable started but it only moves an inch. Does the cable go through th stainless tube that sticks out the other side and if so how do you remove the "eye square" end to slide the cable out? Please help!

jegervais

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Please Help:Frozen Steering Cable

Chase I'm not sure I follow your terminology, but here's what I would do - Start by disconnecting the steering link that goes from the steering ram (the part that sticks out of the tilt-tube, usually on the port side) to the outboards steering arm. Next, completely loosen and back off the steering cable nut on the starboard side of the tilt-tube. I usually disconnect the steering cable at the helm too. If the steering ram is rusted inside the tilt-tube, you'll probably need a big hammer to persuade it to back out of the tilt-tube. If you're lucky, once you "break it free" it will go all the way. If you're not so lucky you may need to use a brass drift-pin (large diameter) to hammer it out the rest of the way. Make sure what ever you use for a drift-pin is a soft metal, or you could damage the tilt-tube. Once you've got the steering ram out of the tilt-tube, you'll have to clean the tilt-tube out thoroughly. I usually use a large "shotgun" brush on a cordless drill - squirt some spray solvent (like brake-cleaner) into the tube and run the brush back and forth through the tilt-tube, continually spraying bursts of solvent until you get it fairly clean of rust and old grease (yup, its messy - do what you can to contain the slop). Try and run long narrow strips of clean rag through to dry the tilt-tube out.<br /><br />To install the new cable, extend the steering ram and LIBERALLY grease the inner portion with a good quality water-proof marine grease (such as Evinrude/Johnson's Triple Guard Grease). Retract the ram and grease the outer portion, then install thru the tilt-tube. Tighten the hold down nut and re-install all the hardware. and stuff you previously disconnected.<br /><br />Good luck, I bet I know where you'll be most of the day tomorrow...<br /><br />Have fun,<br />-John

Chase

Recruit
Re: Please Help:Frozen Steering Cable

John, Thank you :) It will be a messy day.