Flushing Evinrude E-TEC 25 HP

esobofh

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Folks,

A few trips back I was out crabbing here in the indian arm (north vancouver), I launched the boat at Cates Park, where they feature flushing stations and hose connections for use after you retrieve your boat. These flush stations are great - the water comes directly from the city resevoir, and are not pressure regulated. The water that comes out is under such high pressure that you have to physically brace yourself when turning it on full blast with a regular garden hose.. it's insane, but makes for easy clean-up and wash down of the salt and such in your boat.

The first time I flushed my engine I hooked up the line to the motor and my assistant (an ESL student we were hosting from Saudi Arabia) misunderstood my instructions and opened the water full.

I didn't really clue in that anything was wrong, until water began gushing out of the cowl intake port... the pressure had blown off all of the hoses and tubes connected to the power head, inside the cowl. The entire upper and lower cowl had filled up with water before I shut off the supply and removed the upper cowl. Thankfully, everything drained out and the computers and such are all sealed, and dry, etc.

I've since replaced the factory zap-straps that were holding the hoses on with actual hose clamps, and have been out for a few trips since then, and running without issue.

I was recently flushing my motor (using the flush-port hose connection) and noticed that water seems to be coming out of the cowl towards the lower part of the leg. Is this normal?

Are there more hoses inside the lower cowl on the leg or leading down from the powerhead that may have also been disconnected?

There is a small black hose coming out of the lower cowl a few inches from the bottom, should water be flowing from here? (it isn't now).

I've watched the flushing videos on youtube, but all seem to feature e-tecs of much higher horespower, and they don't have the same hoses and tubes so I can't tell if my motor is flushing properly.. appreciate anyones input!!