Synthetic 2 stroke oil questions

LenZelinski

Cadet
is there any reduction in wear using<br />a synthetic oil?<br />what are the benefits?<br />and which oil is best?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Synthetic 2 stroke oil questions

The full synthetic is great but expensive. The synthetic blend is great and more reasonably priced. I prefer Penzoil and have found it at Wal Mart and K Mart. <br /><br />Good luck!

redog

Cadet

I checked out the trailerboats.com and did not see any mention of the pro's and con's on oil. :(

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Interesting that you should bring this up, Len.<br /><br />We haven't had a fight about oil all week. <br /><br />Have you read the article on oil types in the Engie FAQ Section?<br /><br />Have you done a search for threads about synthetic oils?<br /><br />Try those out. Good luck. :)

LubeDude

Admiral

Len:<br /><br />In a word, YES. Ive been able to tear several small engines apart over the years that were run on synthetics. they generally look like new inside, even after being abused. They still have the hone marks in the cylinders and are clean as a whistle inside, rings are free and very little carbon buildup if any.

phatmanmike

Captain

i used shell 100% synthetic 2 stroke oil in my outboards and i use synthetic lower unit lube too. <br /><br />i was skeptic, thought id try it at least once and see what happens...<br /><br />i ran through a full 6 gall tank mixed with 87 octane and 50:1 synthetic and my engine is noticabley quieter, smoother, and doesnt smoke as much... all of the engines i have used it on are small tillers, 3hp, 5hp, 6 hp, and 14 hp... so i dont know about big motors gaining a few hundred rpms to play with or not...<br /><br />it was 20 bucks a gallon for the 2 stroke and 6 dollars a quart for lower unit lube.. <br /><br />i wont change back to regular unless i absolutely have too..<br /><br />they also start easier, but i think that may have to do with the smooother running-ness of it...<br /><br />to shorten my story to a few words.." i love it"<br /><br />try it and youll see........<br /><br />mikey