Prop Hub Replacement

Cedarplug

Cadet
Can anybody lead me to info on replacing the hub on my Michigan Wheel SS prop and a place to purchase hubs. I have access to a machine shop but I'm wondering if any special equipment is needed.

petryshyn

Commander
Re: Prop Hub Replacement

I can't speak for your application, but the hubs I've seen need special guides to install. The procedure is well worth the $30-$40 bucks they charge to do it....The hub is one ugly lookin thing, not as one would suspect.

Cedarplug

Cadet

Thanks for the reply, I thought there was more than just pressing out the old and in with the new. BTW, I tried your underwater camera design and it worked great in clear water.

petryshyn

Commander

Hey Cedarplug <br /><br />Cool on the camera...you must be a resourceful little devil getting it built so quick. In the spring, I'll try posting some screen shots when the water is clear...<br /><br />With regards to the hub, imagine trying to evenly stuff a rubber bagel into a toilet paper tube!

Cedarplug

Cadet

The only problem with the camera is I tried standard Alen Gap hi intensity LEDs for alumination and it just need a little more at deep depths. Will rebuild with some Lumi leds (I test traffic signal gear and have access to some new stuff out there) but they will require heat sinking. I'll let you know the outcome.

petryshyn

Commander

I tried 12v halogen bulbs. 100 watts worth. It lit up the area, but because the camera is so sensitive, it didn't improve visibility, it only illuminated the suspended microscopic particles in the water, giving it a snowing effect. This actually hindered the view, so I removed them......If you illuminate the area from a distance away, it will be better, but don't have the lights close to the camera.<br /><br />Good luck! :)

Cedarplug

Cadet

Back to original subject, the hub on this Ballistic prop I just bought used seems to be a little off center. This is'nt normal is it? Sould I still use my thust washer on my Honda 90hp, it seems to go on with or without it.