15inch johnson. 30 hp.. can i uses a jack plate

bagnallt

Seaman
Hi...
I need some advise... Can I use a jack plate lower on a 20 inch transom to use a 15 inch outboard on a 20 inch transom. I have it on there and the cavitation plate is just under 4 inches from the bottom of the transom. I was wondering if i could put on on of those ajustable jack plates and use it to lower the motor> I was told to cut the transom but i reallu dnt want to do that.
Thanks for your help.

d.boat

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 15inch johnson. 30 hp.. can i uses a jack plate

Hi...
I need some advise... Can I use a jack plate lower on a 20 inch transom to use a 15 inch outboard on a 20 inch transom. I have it on there and the cavitation plate is just under 4 inches from the bottom of the transom. I was wondering if i could put on on of those ajustable jack plates and use it to lower the motor> I was told to cut the transom but i reallu dnt want to do that.
Thanks for your help.

is this a primary engine or a kicker? Jackplates are used commonly to lower kickers. I don't know about primary engines. It might make the control difficult to use.

When I use my kicker lowered like that, the tiller handle is at a steep upward angle. It's easy enough to use at the speeds it pushes my boat (about 5 mph wot, but usually trolling speed), with a 30 hp pushing a smaller boat on plane, I would suspect it might get dicey steering it safely.

bagnallt

Seaman

yes it is the primary motor. I see your point it has the older style steering arm which connects to the teleflex steering via a plate which mounts on the motor mounting brackets. or fits on the transom with an extending arm to the motor.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Short shaft outboards in that power range are in such demand that you should be able to swap for a long shaft engine in a nanosecond.

Failing that you should be able to swap the right parts for long shaft parts and a few bux.

Exactly what 30HP engine do you have?

bagnallt

Seaman

hi there its a 1987 Johnson J30ECUB ... I wasnt sure if there was an extention kit for the leg. That would b the best Idea

bagnallt

Seaman

I am really confused here.. I put this motor on the boat to acurately measure the didtance from the Anticavition plate to the bottom of the hull. Its 2 and a half inches higher than the bottom tof the hull. I put a long shaft on there.. ( its too powerfull for the boat its 50hp) and it sits perfect. I am confused as I assumed it would be 4-5 inches too short. I know I still need the plate in line with the bottom of the hull. But know need to drop the motor 2 1/2 inches.. crazy and confused!! BTW Measuring the transom.... I am right to take the perpendicular measurement and not the actual transome as it has an angle. to it..

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

It is 4-5 " to short the cavitation plate should be 1-2" below the hull. If that motor is all you have I would run it. If you are talking about a kicker type jack plate I don't think I would put that big of motor on it. If you mean a cmc type lift then I think you would be allright.