Evinrude Outboard sale

mfry

Cadet
I saw on craigslist an add for a 1987 15 HP Evinrude 2 stroke outboard. The asking price is $300.
I know this is a great deal but i'm afraid that there might be something wong with it. The seller says that it's "perfect in every way".
When I go to look at it what are some things that I should check for?

Thanks a lot

jdsgrog

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Evinrude Outboard sale

have him open the cowl and see if the motor is visibly clean. have him run it in a bucket/tank and see if there is trouble starting it. make sure it idles well at low idle and hear it rev up and if it sounds "smooth". listen for any "coughs", "hiccups", or any backfires. see if it is pumping water. make sure it shifts smootly and stays in gear. these are just a few thoughts. i'm sure others will chime in.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If he refuses to run it for you you should either walk away or offer him salvage value. In my view you are buying a junk motor if the owner can't or won't make it run. "Just needs a tune-up" means it has serious problems. If a tune up is all it needed the owner would have done that as it is a minimal expense.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

That is almost too good to be true, I would take a compression gage and check that then hear it run but I wouldn't get it if he can't or won't make it run.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

BUYING A USED MOTOR

overall condition, condition of the place you are buying it from, usually tells you how they care for things. compression 100 + psi, and within 10% of each other, if rope start 70 PSI. good strong blue spark, no water in the lower unit oil. look for discolored paint, (sign of over heat at one time), also scarred up bolts, as why. have them start it. if they fail to put it in a barrell or tank, or on muffs, or in the water, to start it they don't know what they are doing. best yet is to take it for a 30 min to 1 hour test run. also if remote controlled motor, the controls should come with it.

SeaNymph Man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'd be wary of that deal. Sure,the price may sound good,...but I would save my money and search for a much better motor in better condition if I were you. Why do I say that? I have good reason to believe I was ripped off on a boat/motor/trailer I seen on craigslist. The boat and trailer are fine,...but the
motor that came with the boat is 1;too small for the boat it is on, and 2;was advertised as running good when in fact it idles poorly and does not get the boat on plane at all,...if barely,...even with a light load. Look around a little further and search for a better motor than this one. I am sure there are better 15 HP Evinrudes out there than that one. Check out www.smalloutboards.com for a look and while you are on the site,take the time to read and learn about them. Sure,...you may have to pay a huge shipping fee if you buy from them,but after you read what they do to the motors they take in and sell again,...you may feel better about them. I am planning on buying a motor from them when they get the motor I want in.
Check their site daily as they get different motors in all the time.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Very good price. If it runs and checks out, get it. You're not risking that much.
In addition to the above suggestions, find out if the water pump/impeller has been changed and if not, do it after you buy it, especially if its a salt water motor.

MushCreek

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I also avoid motors if the model/serial number plate is missing. That's usually a sure sign that the rig is stolen.

Capt Ron

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I also avoid motors if the model/serial number plate is missing. That's usually a sure sign that the rig is stolen.

The OP didn't indicate where he is but in SC a motor 5hp or more must be titled and display a registration sticker on the side of the cowling. When I see a good deal on a motor listed in CL I send a 3 word e-mail: Got the Title?
If the reply is "No" then I will not consider buying. These are considered parts motors only regardless of size or year.

Another thing, trying to sell a boat here without a title (in your name) is illegal too.

Capt Ron

MushCreek

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We're in the process of moving to SC (Greenville), so I make sure I get a notarized Bill of Sale when buying my antique outboards. I had one guy get all angry and refuse to get me a Bill of Sale; I walked.