Strong, then weakening tell tale stream Yamaha 200

Big Keepers

Petty Officer 1st Class
Okay so Fourth of July weekend last year I had my lower unit repaired and a new impeller kit installed (the gear oil had water in it.) I ended up using the boat three more weekends all season but I didn't put a lot of time on the motor, maybe forty minutes in all. It was winterized no problem. I've been told the impellers are good for up to three seasons. I also had an issue last season with the rabbit ears I used not supplying enough water to the impeller which caused overheating once and higher than normal engine temps in general when running off my home water supply in the driveway. I now use as short a hose as possible and fixed the rabbit ear issue then never had a problem running in the driveway.

I've yet to get the boat in the water and will do so this Fourth of July weekend. I had the motor running twice this month. At first the tell tale stream comes out nice and strong like it should. After a minute or so the stream begins to weaken a bit but still comes out with pressure, the water is warm not hot. I use a digital temp gun to monitor the water jacket cover temps, when they start to hit 160 I shut down the motor. The exhaust cover between the cylinders hits about 180. My judgement is the impeller is still good and its my house supply giving me issues again. I'll be putting the boat in the water tomorrow for an engine test to really get my answer but I won't sleep too well tonight if I don't pose the question and see if anyone else has had a similar situation happen to them. I know I should just do the impeller kit to eliminate that from the equation but if I can wait a week I'd like to. I'm a little superstitious about doing engine repairs on the eve of a boating weekend. If it ain't broke it doesn't need to be fixed right away.