Dielectric grease in plug wires

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander
Anybody ever use dielectric grease inside their plug wire boots?

Just got a new set of wires and was thinking about using some grease inside the boot to protect form any possible corrosion or anything.

Pretty sure I've seen this done before, just figure I'd throw out a quick question.

Thanks.

wbeaton

Commander
Re: Dielectric grease in plug wires

Anybody ever use dielectric grease inside their plug wire boots?

Just got a new set of wires and was thinking about using some grease inside the boot to protect form any possible corrosion or anything.

Pretty sure I've seen this done before, just figure I'd throw out a quick question.

Thanks.

Everytime I replace plug wires I coat the spring with dielectric grease and slide the new boot on. I also use it on trailer light bulbs and the 4 wire connector for the trailer lights.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

wbeaton....same here, I always use it on my trailer 4 wire connectors. I am pretty sure that plug wire kits used to come with a little tube of dielectric grease, but it's been a while since I put new wires on....I usually recycle/clean up old ones.

Figured dielectric grease couldn't hurt, just wanted to throw it out there.

Big Keepers

Petty Officer 1st Class

I use it on my snow plow harness connections, my trailer plug and a few other places I'd rather not speak about in public. It can't hurt the plug wires I don't think. But I'd clean it out from time to time and replace since grease attracts dirt and water.