OMC SEADRIVE water ingestion

Status
Not open for further replies.

masondr

Seaman
I have a 115 OMC SEADRIVE outboard that is getting water into the crankcase. Local technician cant solve. Can water be sucked in thru bad crank shaft seals? Into exhaust ports from failed exhaust cover gasket? Engine riding too low to waterline? Other ways? Gas doesnot have water, head gaskets are ok, and have not found any cracks visually or with pressure test. Help!

clanton

Rear Admiral
Re: OMC SEADRIVE water ingestion

Which cylinders have water in them? How did you pressure test block?

masondr

Seaman

Clanton: Thanks for response. Not sure which cylinders. Suspect#4, since it fouls consistently. I have engine torndown. Upper and lower crank bearings are rusty and loose.Crankcase head rusty and one of thebearing retainer bolts was loose and not sealed.Not sure about pressure test. Local mech. claims to have done, but details are sketchy.Engine was "rebuilt" by mech.1year ago, but never ran right after that.

masondr

Seaman

Anybody know about water ingestion in outboards? My powerhead is beyond rebuild.Before I replace it, I wanted to make sure the problem was in the powerhead, and not some other factor such as engine height from waterline,etc. Thanks

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Typical injestion is as you describe. Damage is worse at the top and bottom of the crank and better toward the center. <br /><br />A mist of water is pulled in through the air intake into the air box. There water goes to the lower bearing via that small hose at the bottom and then is pumped to the top bearing via the reflow system.<br /><br />There are a couple of things to look for because it will happen again if we don't stop the cause. Keep in mind the damaged crank is a result, not the cause. The problem could be that the unit is mounted too low which is not unusual with Sea Drives. The water can also come from something mounted on the transom like a transducer, speedometer pick up, ect.<br /><br />If this has been a problem since it was new, most likely it's too low. If this is a new problem then look at something that has been changed, added, moved, ect. Has anything been added like mentioned or even a fin? <br /><br />By the way, it's very easy to pressure check an outboard block but in this case I think you are right, it's injestion from an outside source.<br /><br />Hope this helps. Good luck!

byordy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The most likely cause of water in the crankcase, particularly if it's the lower cylinder(s) is a faulty crankcase seal. There is also supposed to be an o-ring on the driveshaft to deflect the water and debris which travels up the shaft away from the seal. This helps prevent debris from wearing the crankcase seal. This o-ring seems to be missing in a lot of cases.<br />In any event, if the problem just occured then the crankcase seal/o-ring combo would be my first suspect.<br />Bill.....

masondr

Seaman

Dhadley: Help me with water flow path. Is air box front of carbs or ducts in motor cover?Small hose to and from? Is water passing thru carbs or is this aseparate path to crankcase? Is air intake design different on seadrives?Would running in rain/fog have same effect? Problems started about when we went to salt water use and added a kicker motor. seadrive is a single on 18' cc. Sounds like you have seen this before.Thanks.

masondr

Seaman

Byordy: O-ring is missing!Top and bottom crank seals were shot along with bearings, but I didn't know if this was cause or effect.Problems started about 1.5 years ago, when I went to salt water use. Added kicker about same time.Motor locked while sitting.Motor was "rebuilt", and problem was attributed to water in the gas.Motor never ran right after that.I recently tore motor down myself, with the results I described in posting.Would water entering thru bottom seal make it to top bearing? Both top and bottom bearings were rusty, with little indications elsewhere. Thanks for your help.

masondr

Seaman

Dhadley/Byordy/anyone who can help further:I've got two good replies, but I need to pin this down further, if possible.My best outcome would be abad seal as cause rather than result of water.If cause is Seadrive riding too low, I don't know how to fix-no room to move up on transom.Any Thoughts on how I might narrow this further would be greatly appreciated.I'm 'dead in the water' till then.

byordy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

dave seadrive,<br />Normally when the lower seal goes the lower cylinder(s) will start to miss because of water ingestion. If the water makes it around the crankcase seals it can migrate to the top of the block. I would expect that the water would be an effect of the seals beoing bad, not the cause. If the O-ring is missing then debris could have ruined the bottom seal. I don't think that would have ruined the top seal however.<br />If the motor was rebuilt then the seals should have been replaced. <br />Do you run in shallow water with the prop in the mud/sand very often? Normally if the prop is always in clean water the missing O-ring should not be a problem.<br />You may have a problem with water ingestion while the boat is at rest, but the Sea Drives are supposed to be water tight, and as I recall there is a flex tube for the air intake that draws air from inside the boat. Not sure about that though.<br />You might check the water integrity of the powerhead, that could be the problem.<br />The Sea Drive should be mounted with the anticavitation plate about 1" to 1 1/2" below the bottom of the hull. If that distance is correct then the motor height is ok. <br />Good Luck,<br />Bill........

masondr

Seaman

Byordy-Bill,thanks for coming back. Cav plate is even with keel, BUT Seadrive setback is~18 inches, so powerhead could be riding lower than "normal". Since top and bottom bearings were very rusty and loose, could'nt this defeat seals if water was coming from another source?like air intake? That's my dilemma. Mine doesn't have flex tube, but does have side as wellas back cover intakes, which might increase risk of ingestion.Mine is 1987, flex tube may have been used on later models-anyone know? retrofitting this sounds like a good idea, if possible.

masondr

Seaman

Any body else out there with Seadrive knowledge/experience? Dhadley- if you are still out there, please come back.

jungnim2

Seaman Apprentice

watt motor you have?<br />crosflo or lopper?

byordy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

dave seadrive;<br />I think that I remember the in-hull air intake being advertised the first year the sea drives came out. That's the best of my memory.<br />If water is being ingested into the air intake you should be able to see this happen by carefully watching while underway. Also after a high speed run there would be water on the surface of the engine block, air intakes, interior of the cover, and other areas of the motor, since the air has to make several turns to reach the carb throats. If the exterior of the block and the interior of the cover are dry after operating the motor on the water then water ingestion into the air intake is probably not the problem. If these areas are wet then you know where the problem lies. <br />When the boat is at rest is it possible that water makes it's way into the carb throats? Also if it's salt water being ingested into the motor I would expect to see corrosion as well as rust. It is possible that rainwater is getting in to the motor?<br />This doesn't answer your problem I know, but may help you sort it out.<br />Bill......

byordy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

dave seadrive,<br />Forgot this in the other post, but the engine height sounds about right to me. At least it should not be the problem unless your boat makes one heck of a stern wave or somthing is protruding into the water causing a spray.<br />Bill.....

jungnim2

Seaman Apprentice

you ck the compression ?<br />you me have a brocken sleef in the motor

masondr

Seaman

Byordy-Bill: powerhead is apart, so I can't further observe for spray.It's definitely salt water getting in-sig. corrosion on bearings and crank ends. exterior of block is clean, and I didn't see any water or corrosion in carbs or reeds. I notice that there are what appear to be two scuppers ,factory-built into the front lower cover,They are not clogged. apparently to drain water which might get in. Boat is trailered-does not sit in water when not in use. In-hull intake sounds like a way to move on with some confidence, if I can find one. Thanks again for your help. Dave.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

I noticed you said the problem started after you mounted a kicker motor. Take a look at that and make sure nothing is causing a spray back there. It doesn't take much. What you are seeing is very typical water injestion. It's being introduced into the motor thru that small hose in the lower back of the air box. <br /><br />Keep the spray away from the air intake and your problem will be solved.<br /><br />Good luck!

byordy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

dave seadrive;<br />You're on the right track. I think I would put the motor back together paying particular attention to the crankcase seals.<br />From what you've all ready done and dhadley's comments it does sound like water ingestion.<br />When you first run it in the water pay close attention to the mounting of the kicker and any spray produced. Make sure you check it in all speed ranges and both forward and reverse, particularly when falling off a plane and backing down into a following sea.<br />Until you find and correct the problem you might try spraying some WD-40 into the carb throats just before you shut the motor off the final time after each outing. That might help displace any water present in the lower end and reduce the chances of more rust/corrosion developing until you can effect a final cure. That's only a very temporary means however, the source of the water must be found.<br />Good Luck,<br />Bill...........

Status
Not open for further replies.