OMC SEADRIVE water ingestion

Status
Not open for further replies.

masondr

Seaman
Re: OMC SEADRIVE water ingestion

Dhadley/Byordy: Thanks again.One last question(s), if you will bear with me, for sake of understanding. The little hose aparrently is a straight shot to the crankcase and then to the lower bearing and top bearing? What purpose does it serve, and can it be modified or blocked off? I've been told it's to recycle flooding from carbs?My manual doesn't cover this or the lube system for the bearings. Dave

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

You are correct about the purpose and path. Don't block it off. Stop the spray. You can have every reason to be confident that will cure the problem as it ran a long time before you mounted the kicker. <br /><br />Good luck!

ljkirkpat

Recruit

What finally solved your problem. I have the same problem. Now engine froze, going to have to rebuild but would like to know reason. Thanks to anyone who can help.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Not sure I want to get into this. I have a pair of 1987 OMC V4 SeaDrives on my 23' Wellcraft CC that I run in salt water. I just had a rebuilt powerhead installed on the port motor. The cause of my problem was also water injestion but from a different source. I had one of the 1/4" hoses that run around the bubbleback to the pisser let go at 4,500 rpm. With 20 lbs of water pressure it sprayed saltwater all over the inside like a small firehose. Of course at 4,500 rpm a lot of salt water got sucked into the powerhead resulting in detonation, busted piston and scored cyl walls. <br /><br />Going through the breakin now. By the way I don't fault the SeaDrive design for my problem.

wmconway

Seaman

I had this same problem for many years. When i would throttle back too fast or in rough water, the wake/wave came up around the motor. The water comes up the motor leg, gets sucked into the exhaust port. I had blown seals and rust mostly on the lower cylinders. Now i ease off the throttle and watchout for big waves around the motor. I haven't had to overhaul the powerhead in 3 years now - fingers crossed!
Also, when a big wave comes towards the stern, i gun the motor to about 1/2 throttle to generate exhaust pressure. So far that seems to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.