• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old threads or hijack existing threads. Old threads of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old threads should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís thread (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the thread is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old thread.

5. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís thread. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to threads that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any thread that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old thread.

7. Posting at the end of any thread is considered to be hijacking the original posters thread which in turn subjects the thread to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive thread asking you not to reply to old threads. The Red banner will read: Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

OMC SEADRIVE water ingestion

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OMC SEADRIVE water ingestion

I have a 115 OMC SEADRIVE outboard that is getting water into the crankcase. Local technician cant solve. Can water be sucked in thru bad crank shaft seals? Into exhaust ports from failed exhaust cover gasket? Engine riding too low to waterline? Other ways? Gas doesnot have water, head gaskets are ok, and have not found any cracks visually or with pressure test. Help!

Re: OMC SEADRIVE water ingestion

Which cylinders have water in them? How did you pressure test block?
    Help somebody every day, if you can.

Comment

Clanton: Thanks for response. Not sure which cylinders. Suspect#4, since it fouls consistently. I have engine torndown. Upper and lower crank bearings are rusty and loose.Crankcase head rusty and one of thebearing retainer bolts was loose and not sealed.Not sure about pressure test. Local mech. claims to have done, but details are sketchy.Engine was "rebuilt" by mech.1year ago, but never ran right after that.

Comment

Anybody know about water ingestion in outboards? My powerhead is beyond rebuild.Before I replace it, I wanted to make sure the problem was in the powerhead, and not some other factor such as engine height from waterline,etc. Thanks

Comment

Typical injestion is as you describe. Damage is worse at the top and bottom of the crank and better toward the center. A mist of water is pulled in through the air intake into the air box. There water goes to the lower bearing via that small hose at the bottom and then is pumped to the top bearing via the reflow system.There are a couple of things to look for because it will happen again if we don't stop the cause. Keep in mind the damaged crank is a result, not the cause. The problem could be that the unit is mounted too low which is not unusual with Sea Drives. The water can also come from something mounted on the transom like a transducer, speedometer pick up, ect.If this has been a problem since it was new, most likely it's too low. If this is a new problem then look at something that has been changed, added, moved, ect. Has anything been added like mentioned or even a fin? By the way, it's very easy to pressure check an outboard block but in this case I think you are right, it's injestion from an outside source.Hope this helps. Good luck!

Comment

The most likely cause of water in the crankcase, particularly if it's the lower cylinder(s) is a faulty crankcase seal. There is also supposed to be an o-ring on the driveshaft to deflect the water and debris which travels up the shaft away from the seal. This helps prevent debris from wearing the crankcase seal. This o-ring seems to be missing in a lot of cases.In any event, if the problem just occured then the crankcase seal/o-ring combo would be my first suspect.Bill.....

Comment

Dhadley: Help me with water flow path. Is air box front of carbs or ducts in motor cover?Small hose to and from? Is water passing thru carbs or is this aseparate path to crankcase? Is air intake design different on seadrives?Would running in rain/fog have same effect? Problems started about when we went to salt water use and added a kicker motor. seadrive is a single on 18' cc. Sounds like you have seen this before.Thanks.

Comment

Byordy: O-ring is missing!Top and bottom crank seals were shot along with bearings, but I didn't know if this was cause or effect.Problems started about 1.5 years ago, when I went to salt water use. Added kicker about same time.Motor locked while sitting.Motor was "rebuilt", and problem was attributed to water in the gas.Motor never ran right after that.I recently tore motor down myself, with the results I described in posting.Would water entering thru bottom seal make it to top bearing? Both top and bottom bearings were rusty, with little indications elsewhere. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Dhadley/Byordy/anyone who can help further:I've got two good replies, but I need to pin this down further, if possible.My best outcome would be abad seal as cause rather than result of water.If cause is Seadrive riding too low, I don't know how to fix-no room to move up on transom.Any Thoughts on how I might narrow this further would be greatly appreciated.I'm 'dead in the water' till then.

Comment

dave seadrive,Normally when the lower seal goes the lower cylinder(s) will start to miss because of water ingestion. If the water makes it around the crankcase seals it can migrate to the top of the block. I would expect that the water would be an effect of the seals beoing bad, not the cause. If the O-ring is missing then debris could have ruined the bottom seal. I don't think that would have ruined the top seal however.If the motor was rebuilt then the seals should have been replaced. Do you run in shallow water with the prop in the mud/sand very often? Normally if the prop is always in clean water the missing O-ring should not be a problem.You may have a problem with water ingestion while the boat is at rest, but the Sea Drives are supposed to be water tight, and as I recall there is a flex tube for the air intake that draws air from inside the boat. Not sure about that though.You might check the water integrity of the powerhead, that could be the problem.The Sea Drive should be mounted with the anticavitation plate about 1" to 1 1/2" below the bottom of the hull. If that distance is correct then the motor height is ok. Good Luck,Bill........

Comment

Byordy-Bill,thanks for coming back. Cav plate is even with keel, BUT Seadrive setback is~18 inches, so powerhead could be riding lower than "normal". Since top and bottom bearings were very rusty and loose, could'nt this defeat seals if water was coming from another source?like air intake? That's my dilemma. Mine doesn't have flex tube, but does have side as wellas back cover intakes, which might increase risk of ingestion.Mine is 1987, flex tube may have been used on later models-anyone know? retrofitting this sounds like a good idea, if possible.

Comment

Any body else out there with Seadrive knowledge/experience? Dhadley- if you are still out there, please come back.

Comment

watt motor you have?crosflo or lopper?

Comment

V-4 crossflow

Comment

dave seadrive;I think that I remember the in-hull air intake being advertised the first year the sea drives came out. That's the best of my memory.If water is being ingested into the air intake you should be able to see this happen by carefully watching while underway. Also after a high speed run there would be water on the surface of the engine block, air intakes, interior of the cover, and other areas of the motor, since the air has to make several turns to reach the carb throats. If the exterior of the block and the interior of the cover are dry after operating the motor on the water then water ingestion into the air intake is probably not the problem. If these areas are wet then you know where the problem lies. When the boat is at rest is it possible that water makes it's way into the carb throats? Also if it's salt water being ingested into the motor I would expect to see corrosion as well as rust. It is possible that rainwater is getting in to the motor?This doesn't answer your problem I know, but may help you sort it out.Bill......

Comment

Working...
                              X