Peterborough cedar strip with 40hp Gale motor

seaya1

Recruit
New to here, not sure if right place to ask, but here goes....just aquired a late 50's, early 60's peterborough cedar strip boat with 40 hp. Gale motor and Wiscot trailer, all original. Boat is 14'4" x 65", ser.# is 1111, motor ser. # c 774881, model 40DE17B.( may have one # wrong) Could someone tell me the age of the boat and the motor, thank you, Bob

wbeaton

Commander
Re: Peterborough cedar strip with 40hp Gale motor

Motor is a 1963 Gale Bucaneer 40 hp. Don't know about the boat, but its probably the same.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

sounds like an original package.

seaya1

Recruit

:D Thanks, the motor says Sovereign, not Bucaneer, ser. # C 74881, model 40 DE 17 B, is there any difference?? Would love to find place to look up boat history....Thanks again, Bob

wbeaton

Commander

I don't know much about the Gales. The model number came up as a Bucaneer on my list, but that doesn't mean it is.

Post over on the ask-a-member board at aomci.org. They can answer anything you could ever want to know about your motor.

56 rude

Banned

any pic of the boat?is the bottom glasses or natural?if it is natural, remember you have to let it swell up before using.most that were trailered were glassed on the bottom so as to help do away with the soaking up period .

seaya1

Recruit

Yes, it is glassed, would love to know where to find out age of boat, ser. #1111 ( have seen some for sale with ser.#'s in the 8065 range and they were 1959) pic too large, can't seem to compress ( has windshield and lrge deck with deck around gunnels, two seats, pass thru from front to rear seat, steering in front seat)

56 rude

Banned

Good that its glassed.Now quick and painless way to make sure there are no leaks or you dont sink on your maiden voyage is to put the plug in and fill boat with water .you only need a few inches.If it leaks like a sieve dont worry,keep the water level up for a few days and the wood will swell.If you have a camp and the boat is in the water all the time your good for the year but if your going to be trailering it all summer i put a couple of inches in the bottom and drain before using.If you have a good glass job you really shouldnt have to worry about leakage but if its as old as you think and never been redun you may have to do the swell routine.Personally i wouldnt own anything but wood and im willing to do the work if necessary to have a good boat.there,s nothing like a freshly varnished boat ,their tuff,solid ,give a good ride and with care will last a lifetime.Im currently in the process of stripping a glass boat and its going to the scrapyard and friday i pick up my new cedarstrip boat and i will never buy glass or tin again.Dont get me wrong ,i love woodys but their not for everybody as they do take a certian amout of commitement.Im sure you will have a great time with your find.As for pictures try photobucket and then post .

56 rude

Banned

Just for your interest there,s a few sites that you can check out , antiqueboatamerica.com is one and portcarlingboats.com is another.Peterborough boats were built by the Peterborough Canoe Company of Peterborough Ontario_OMC also had a factory there for decades, ive got several omc,c from the 50,s and one from 39 and their all built there.

seaya1

Recruit

Here is picture..........;)

Wee Hooker

Chief Petty Officer

Where is the pic????
We want a peek!