48 hp Evinrude SPL 2 stroke - experience & info?

lakelover

Rear Admiral
Can anyone give me any info on this engine (1995), personal experience, what to look for?

I'm going to look at one and will try to get the serial #. Is it OK to transport it lying on its side? The asking price is $1500; looked on NADA and average retail was $495, but I didn't have a model number.

15' boat is solid & rated for 45 hp, do you think it would handle this? It came with a (1964) 50hp on it.

I just bought an old 1964 Starcraft on Sunday and am looking to repower it.
(My other post on the Restoration board:
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=309879)

Thanks.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 48 hp Evinrude SPL 2 stroke - experience & info?

if the motor is in excellant condition, if the motor has trim & tilt, the asking price is very close to market value.

the 48spl is a bullet proof motor, easy to maintain yourself. i have owned many of the series, presently have 2 or it's sisters.

it will make a great combo with the Starcraft.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

if the motor is in excellant condition, if the motor has trim & tilt, the asking price is very close to market value.

the 48spl is a bullet proof motor, easy to maintain yourself. i have owned many of the series, presently have 2 or it's sisters.

it will make a great combo with the Starcraft.

Thanks. It does have trim & tilt. I need a short shaft (transom = 16"), from where to where on the motor would I measure to make sure? It's kind of hard from the photo to tell, but it looks like a short shaft.

Is it OK to transport it lying on its side in a trailer?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

measure from where it would sit on the transom, to the plate just above the prop. short shaft is 15 inches, long shaft 20 inches. even if long shaft you have install a jack plate or transom elevator, to solve that problem. consider to add T N T to a motor, it is $500. so the price is about right.