Test Wheel/Test Tank

twollin

Recruit
Does anyone know where I can get a test wheel for a 1992 60hp Envinrude and what the approximate cost might be?<br /><br />Also looking for a test tank and approximate cost?<br /><br />Thanks.

Grant Ingle

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Test Wheel/Test Tank

Tim,<br />Test wheels are designed to provide a load for a motor without the splashing that comes with running a motor in a test tank. They have lost popularity and can be hard to find nowadays. When running a motor to determine an intermittent problem generally there isn't a lot of splash involved. I use a 100 gallon tank with fins above the water line to direct the splash right back into the water. We have run 50 HP motors in the tank with no problem without using a test prop. What you have to watch out for is that the prop running in such a small area forces some of the exhaust from the prop around the wash and back into the inlet. By limiting the RPM's you can avoid this. If you want to make a test tank like mine E-mail me at propshop@bright.net and I'll try to give you the pertinent dimensions. ;)

Alsunbird

Cadet

Grant Ingle, I was playing with the same idea a couple Months ago, you think this will work for my 1991 200hp Evinrude or is this engine such to big to run it with a regular prop in a test tank. I couldn't find a used test prop anywhere.<br /><br />Tim.CA - I have seen test-props on E-bay that will fit your Evinrude. <br /><br />Thanks…Al

Alsunbird

Cadet

Grant Ingle, I was playing with the same idea a couple Months ago, you think this will work for my 1991 200hp Evinrude or is this engine such to big to run it with a regular prop in a test tank. I couldn't find a used test prop anywhere.<br /><br />Tim.CA - I have seen test-props on E-bay that will fit your Evinrude. <br /><br />Thanks…Al

Grant Ingle

Seaman Apprentice

Al,<br />Generally the higher the HP the longer tank you will need. Also it will need to be a bit wider. My tank is fixed and we use a lift to set the motor by itself into the tank. I built a transom into the front of the tank to accomplish this. If you have a 25 or 30 inch shaft you'll also have to take that into account.

Alsunbird

Cadet

Grant, <br />Do you recommend building a tank that I could place at transom and then all I have to do is tilt the motor in? Also, could this be use for setting the timing?<br /><br />Thanks…Al

twollin

Recruit

Grant, Al,<br /><br />Thanks so much for the info.