vintage johnson

duramax23

Recruit
i have recently gotten a hold of a 1958 johnson 5.5 hp and i am wondering if anyone could give me some insight on a couple of things. i am wondering where the water should be exiting the motor so i can tell if the water pump is working or not. i also need some guidance on using the the high and low needles, like where is a good starting place for them to start the engine and then how do i adjust them after the motor is running. any help would be much appreciated thanks:confused:

jbjennings

Captain
Re: vintage johnson

Duramax,
If you go to the johson/evinrude forum and look at the top of the list at the "top secret Stuff" thread, it will have several topics that would be very helpful to you, including starting points for the low and high speed adjustments, setting points and changing coils (which there's a good chance you'll have to do), and other stuff. That carb setting procedure by Reeves is really helpful.
The water on your motor should spray out the exhaust hole in the middle of the back of your midsection. It should be a nice healthy spray. You will have to pull the powerhead to change the water pump impeller which I strongly suggest you do regardless of how the spray looks, but pulling the powerhead is no biggie on that motor. Take off the fuel lines and low/high speed knobs and the whole thing will come off as a unit. You'll need a new base gasket or make your own. That's a good motor, you'll like it. Cranks really easy and runs like a swiss watch.
Good luck,
JBJ